Recommend Chemical Levels

Aug 21, 2013
I'm trying to determine what the appropriate chemical levels are given my pool configuration.

The pool is an in-ground pool, located in Mississippi, has a vinyl liner, and receives constant sunlight throughout the day. The current levels are:

CYA: ~45
FC: 5.5
TA: ~125
PH: 7.2

I have viewed the recommended levels within the "Pool School" section, but I assume some differences are likely given the all-day sunlight and higher than recommended TA levels.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You are within the suggested guidelines so you are fine.

If you like, you could raise CYA up to 50, maybe even 60 but, if it was my pool, I wouldn't do that this late in the year....the CYA will cost more than the chlorine you might save.

This is after an almost complete refill of the pool.

Over the past month or so, I've been dealing with an algae bloom that simply would not go away. I shocked continuously trying to eliminate it and eventually realized that the shock was adding CYA (along with the chlorine pucks), so I'm now going to try the BBB method espoused here.

There are currently "strips" of light brownish color that are collecting at the bottom of the pool, which I have previously associated with dead algae. I'm going to begin the SLAMing procedure as documented. Hopefully this will eliminate the issue.

Thank you all for your input on the appropriate levels.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like you are doing well.

Keep reading Pool School. There is an article about how to low the TA if you want to do that actively ... or just keep the pH in range and the TA will slowly drop.

After you last response. Hold off on worrying about the TA until you complete the SLAM process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.