Jacuzzi 190 Sand Filter leaking at pump connecter

Aug 21, 2013
Good Day all.

I have a Jacuzzi MaxiPlus 190 Sand Filter that is leaking a fair amount around where the pump get connected to it. I have triple checked and my connection to the filter is solid, but it looks like it is in the filter connector itself.

The other connections on the filter (backwash and return) have threaded pieces inserted that convert the connection to allow the flex pipe to be connected (with clamps), however the pump in connection appears to be built right in on the filter. Since this is an older sand filter, I am not sure if it is actually built in or if the previous owner cemented an attachment in place.

Does anyone how to fix a leak in the connector is it is built in ? or am I able to remove this connector on this model sand filter ?

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

IMG_20130821_184828_zpsc707f10a.jpg

IMG_20130821_184853_zps51c5efa4.jpg

The other two connectors on the Fitler (return and Backwash), both have the threading for 2" on the outside and 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 on the inside, but not the pump connection (where the leak is).

From what I can tell, I would guess that part used to be a union that broke, so you are right that part is permanently attached. Since that part is not a proper nipple it is not surprising that is leaking. See the diagram on this page for what i think is your valve (there are a number of variations none that appear to have a threaded connection there): http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_6_way_dial.aspx

To help with giving you ideas on how to move forward, take the hose off and snap another picture and measure the inside and outside diameter of the pipe (and check to make sure the inside is not threaded).

IMG_20130823_151514_zps57f23d36.jpg

Here is the connector with the hose off. The opening on the valve is 2" and has the barb end for a 1 1/2" hose. When placing my finger in, I could not feel any threads and the grey piece is not in the all that much (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch")

Could I not break it off, scrape off and pieces stuck in there and sand down any existing pvc cement. Clean it up and then cement a new connector piece in place ? Or is there too much risk of damaging the filter head ?

Dave's right, what's it hurt to try.

Besides your original thought, Pasco makes a ram bit. You cut the old pipe off flush with the fitting, then put the ram bit in your drill and auger out the old pipe from inside the fitting. PVC also doesn't like heat. When it gets up to 140F, it softens up. There's an expensive tool I saw used on This Old House or you could try a heat gun. Just soften the piece you want to remove, not the piece you want to reuse.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.