New Guy - new pool going in

Jul 6, 2012
Ohio
Hey all. We are having a new pool put in. They are almost done with excavation and should start with the forms tomorrow or Friday. I'm expecting that plumbing will begin on Monday.

My pool is a free form pool - that will be mostly kidney shaped. It will range from 3.5' to 5.5' and will be about 37 feet long and about 19ft at its widest. The current plan calls for 2 skimmers and two floor/main drains in the deep end. Based on what I've read on there - that all seems good.

My questions are:
1. how many returns/jets should I expect/insist on? The plan calls for two 'zones' in a sense - with a hydro-bench with jets and then the main jets.

2. They are currently planning to use 1.5" black poly for the lines. Based on what I've read here, the pipe seems okay but the size to smaller than most prefer. I've found the pool company to be flexible and willing to work - so I'm going to ask for 2" lines. My question is - is it reasonable (or not a good idea) to ask for all lines to be 'home run' to the pad? So each of the skimmers and the main drain line (assume the two drains are connected). And then all the returns for the jets to be separate lines? I'd like to then had a manifold for each side with their own valves so I can adjust as needed.

I'm looking forward to this system. I love these sorts of things and can't wait for something else to play with :)

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!
Sounds like a nice pool. I would say that at least 3 or 4 returns (not including the bench jets) would be good.

Where are you located? Black poly pipe is typically used in cold areas with lots of frost heave, but if you don't have that it's better to use PVC. 2" lines would be better, as you said, and if you can get even bigger on the suction side that's better still. Having all the lines run individually is a good idea, especially the skimmers and drains.

Feel free to post some of the other details if you are unsure about anything else!

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the upper midwest- so it does sound like Poly is a good choice.

so a couple more Q's while I'm at it (and since you offered) :-D

Do to placement of the pool on my lot (I'm hugging setbacks) - my skimmers will be on the west side of the pool. I know this is not optimal. is there something I should consider to make this work in the best way possible?

Also, I plan to add some solar heating panels next year after we complete a covered patio addition. Would it be a bad idea to ask the pool company to add in a separate set of dedicated bottom drains and a couple dedicated return jets so that I can run a completely separate/parallel system with its own smaller pump for this 'circuit'- which does not connect to the main pump and filter system.

Nothing necessarily wrong with the west side, but if the wind always blows from the west it's not ideal. If you have enough returns, and have them pointed so that the water circulates well, it won't be as big a deal. Regarding solar, it's almost always incorporated with the main circulation system because any water that goes to the panels has to be filtered, or it'll clog them up quickly. It would be a good idea to have the plumbing set up for a future solar installation...it's just a few extra pipe fittings.

Thanks! Makes sense - so I'll have lines setup for solar - but will plumb then in series with main filter setup.

What about setting up for a water feature(s). Would I be future proofing if I had another set of floor drains installed. And I assume the larger the better - so I can create waterfalls etc.

My current thinking is that I have them install:
To the Pad:
3 @ 2" suction lines
one for for each of the of the two skimmers and one for the first set of main drains
1 @ 3" suction for a second set of drains for a future water feature with it's own pump - capped off at the pad for now

To the Pool - from Pad:
4 @ 1.5" lines to each of 4 return jets
2 @ 2" to supply two banks of 4 hydro jets (so I can turn one group off vs all)- are these lines big enough?
one separate return for the cleaner
2 @ 2" lines from the pad over to the patio for the solar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.