HIgh TA after Borates

Jun 5, 2013
My TA has been high all season, I added Borates but missed the part about lowering the TA first. I used the pool calculator and put in my TA (325-350) at the time and figured the Borate increase from 0-50 and just added all the borax and acid at the same time in two doses (2 gallons of 31.75 and 5 boxes of 20 Mule Team). As things currently sit I'm at 225 TA and 50 Borates, but my PH is measuring 7.0 where it was always at 7.6 prior. Eyes sting a bit after swimming. Is that caused by the low PH and what should I do to raise it? I think I read not to use PH-up type chemicals and to possibly aerate (how would I do this in an Intex pool), but I can't find the articles. Thanks!

Sting from pH is quite likely yes. Your tear's pH is about 7.5. However, I don't see your FC and CC levels and that can do it too. There are threads on home made sprayers and "waterfalls" for intex pools. Here is one: intex-cooling-wall-fountain-t36643.html

I don't know if you will have time in the season left to get the pH up like that but you can try. Looks like it was an overshoot on the acid, but you have what you have. The chems we suggest for pH up are Washing Soda (Soda Ash/Sodium Carbonate), Borax. With your TA, Soda isn't a good choice as it will add to your TA. You're in a tough spot really and aeration is the best suggestion, but it takes time. Borax will raise your pH and TA just a bit too. Is there a chance you can replace some water? What is your fill water pH?

New users please remember:

TA is a very important consideration before you create a "Borated Pool".

It never hurts to add a LITTLE LESS acid than you think you need. You can always add a little more if you have too. Once you over-shoot to the low side the game changes. Just like making a cake...its much easier to add in a little more than taking some out.

Read this thread on adding Borates before you do it:

so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Yea, I think I added a bit too much acid as you mentioned. I figure I've got around 4-5 weeks left in the season and building a waterfall seems a bit more than I want to tackle. I could drain some water since my fill water was right around 7.6 before I added the borates. The water was perfect, except for the high TA prior to my screw-up. What does the high TA do, I keep seeing it's important but everything seemed fine all summer at 300+?

My FC is 8 and CC 0. It was as high as 11 before this and no sting. My CYA is also 55 if that matters.

I just want to make sure it's safe for the kids so maybe I'll drain some water (any ideas on amounts to get things back to acceptable levels)? I think I'd just need to add more salt and the extra box of borax I bought.

Ok,

It is probably the pH then. I would try water additon before anything else. Don't fool with adding more chemicals and extending the roller coaster ride. Try a 15% or 20% water change and see what it does. You'll lose some FC, but you can replenish that.

EDIT: You'll lose some salt too obviously, but I am more worried about fixing your pH right now.

Well I came home and measured the PH again, it's now reading 7.2. I swam last night did some massive splashing and water circulation. Should I hold off and hope that it continues to rise? I also forgot to mention I did the acid and borates probably a month ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.