Brand New

I have been winging it for years when it it came to taking care of my pool. I just recently ran across this site and decided to join. I want to take control of my pool. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I will continue to read up on the BBB method and looking forward to learning how to balance my water without going to the pool store. I have used 3" pucks and chlorine for the whole time I've had my pool.
Here are my current readings. Thanks again.

FC 3
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 240
CYA 80
water clear

Welcome to TFP.

Where did those results come from? If they're from the pool store, I wouldn't trust the reading and especially the CYA reading.
Keep reading and you'll get a good understanding of what the numbers should be and that you need a good test kit in order to trust them.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have not found it already, check of Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

One of the first steps to taking control is getting yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits. And then trusting yourself and not the pool store.

Given the high use of pucks, it will not be surprising that you CYA is too high and that you should replace a good portion of your water to get it within range and then to switch the using liquid chlorine nearly exclusively.

If you have only used pucks for your chlorine, I would not trust the CYA values from a pool store. They don't see high CYA as an issue and their tests are frequently very inaccurate. I have heard many pool stores simply report any CYA over 100, ie 300, as 100. It looks to me like you are only a few pucks from 100CYA, assuming they are correct. The CYA test requires sunlight to be accurate.

When you pool gets to 100CYA, IMHO, you cannot manage your chlorine, even with large amounts of liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.