New pool owner

Aug 19, 2013
Last Saturday we took possession of our new home in Santa Ana, California. The home came with a beautiful 15,000 gal saltwater pool with spa. The water is crystal clear and my concern is, I won't be able to keep it that way. Having accepted the fact that my utility bills will be going up, I am not interested in hiring a weekly pool maintenance service. I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube, reading manuals, etc. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Click that big oval button up there on the right and begin reading. Order a good test kit and learn to use it and the Pool calculator.

Once you learn the basics, maintaining a perfectly clear pool is extremely easy. And it's a lot less expensive than a service.

It pretty much all applies to a swg pool. The FC and TA level recommendations are a little different but not much. Just keep reading and learning and it'll start making sense about the third time though it.

Start with understanding how CYA effects you chlorine requirements and they effect each other. This understanding of the relationship is the cornerstone to BBB. With the methods used here, you can get all the chemicals you need at you local box store and never need a pool store for advice, bad as it frequently is. Pool stores are great for parts but they tend to be in the business of selling chemicals you don't need.