Flash Flooding - Need Some Guidance

Apr 16, 2009
My backyard was turned into a lake last night when we got a flash flood that dropped a TON of rain. The result was that the rain and storm water went INTO my pool. So what was a crystal clear pool yesterday now looks like a semi-clear lake with suspended sediment. I am at a loss as to the appropriate response. Should I circulate and just clean the filter daily or turn off the pump and let the sediment settle and brush it towards the drain and then turn the pump back on to suck it through the drain/filter?

I think I will be okay getting the chemicals back in line as I am sure they are all out of whack. I assume I will need to shock the pool once I get the sediment out.

Any advice as to what to do about the dirt/sediment or just in general is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Bama Rambler said:
Usually the best thing to do is keep the pump running and it will filter out the sediment.
What type and size filter and pool do you have?

I have a 15,000 gallon pool. I have a Pentair Clean & Clear 320 Cartridge Filter.

Thanks for your guidance. I am freaking out a little seeing what was a crystal clear pool looking like a sink hole...

I can imagine how you feel. :(

Since you have a cartridge filter you most likely can't vacuum to waste anyway so leaving the pump running and cleaning the filter whenever it needs it is the best plan of action. If there's literally mud on the bottom you can try vacuuming with the filter drain open to get some of it out.

Thanks for the tips. I do feel a little better after going to that link. My pool is certainly not that murky so hopefully just running the pump 24/7 for a couple of days and cleaning filters will do the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.