How was tf-100 developed?

IIRC, the TF is an answer to the availability of the tests required for the average residential pool owner. It uses the same Taylor based reagents as the Taylor kit (and the Leslie branded versions). He uses the Taylor reagents and packages them into the sizes needed by the residential owner, in quantities to last a season or two. I believe it was developed by Duraleigh and Sean.

I think there is a thread here with a more complete answer.

I don't know the exact story, but the effect has been to create an improved version of the Taylor K2006 test kit (as mentioned above both use Taylor brand reagents), where you get more of the reagents that you use the most, instead of a kit filled with matching size bottles of reagents with no regard to how much of each you may use in a typical testing situation. The clearest example of this is the K-2006 matching size (.75 OZ) bottles of R-0871 (used 1 drop per .5 ppm FC or CC in the 10 ml sample size FAS-DPD chlorine test, and R-0003 reagent that requires 5 drops for the CC part of each test. This means unless your FC is less than 2 or maybe 2.5 ppm you will always run out of R-0871 first in the K-2006 kit. By comparison the TF-100 comes with a 2 OZ bottle of R-0871. Sure all this comes at a slightly higher initial price than the K-2006, but proves more economical in the long run, the TF-100 also does not contain the acid and base demand tests that are included in the K-2006 as we generally feel are not needed and can be calculated close enough by pool calculator using the results from your TA test. These tests may be of some value in a dose and forget pool service call, but even without the use of pool calculator they have limited benefit on a frequently tested residential pool.

Ike

GuinnessPhish said:
Has this question been asked and answered? How was the tf-100 developed? Solely by duraleigh?
There is history involving different people and pool forums from the past. One of the older forum veterans here would be better suited to give you the answers of a historical nature than I can. I remember reading about the evolution of it, but don't remember enough to explain it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.