Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Right now these are my numbers

FC 5
TC 5
TA 150
PH 7.2 aerating to bring down TA now that pool is all sparkly :)
CYA 30

CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER!!!

For a while my pool would end up at 2 to 2.5 mid day, then turn greenish and a nice algae bloom followed. I am not here every day to check mid day to bring the FC up.

My solution was to I log a weeks readings and calculate how much chlorine my pool was using each day. I figured out that the pool used 4.5ppm per day and I don't want to fall below 4ppm mid day. I calculated that I needed to bring my FC up to 8.5 to 9 each night (LATE - after everyone is finished swimming for the day) in order to keep from dropping below 3 while I am not here.

I know shock level for CYA 30 is 12 so I am below that and no one takes morning swims here. More afternoon and night time (when the bats are out dive bombing the pool) when the levels are closer to normal.

Is there any harm in what I am doing?

Or should I bring my CYA up to 50 and see how that balances out?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I did -- 4 days in a row after SLAMing just to make sure.

I passed all 4 times. SOMETIMES I have a .5 cc but my FC never loses more than .5. (I love my test kit) :) My water is so clear you can see every nook and cranny even at night.

Try moving to a 40 CYA. It makes a big difference here. Weather has been in 90-100s during the day with humidity below 20%. I lose about 2-3 PPM per day.

I just say your note. Try 40 first... then 50 if you still use a bunch. it's hard to take out.

Everyone has given you great advice on this thread. Others have mentioned this, but I will just add for emphasis...CYA is one of those things you want to add gradually until you find your pool's sweet spot. It's kind of like adding salt to a recipe..best done in increments. You can always add more, if needed. But once you add too much, you cannot take it back out.

Also, if you are adding the granular CYA, keep in mind that it takes about a week for it to register on test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I added the liquid yesterday. I calculated for 40 from 30 even though my cya reading is half way between 20 and 30.

Checked today and it is still between 20 and 30 but closer to 30 now. No where near 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.