Despite 90-100 degree Texas heat my chlorine levels are...

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
Despite 90-100 degree Texas heat my chlorine levels are rising each week. It was at 7 last week and now it's at almost 9, and I've turned down the setting on my inline trichlor thing. I know trichlor isn't the way to go, and I plan to put in an SWG system next year, but for now I'm dealing with trichlor :)

Here are the stats...

FC - 8.5-9
pH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 250
CYA - 65-70
Water Temp - 82 degrees

Any ideas as to why it is continuing to rise?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Despite 90-100 degree Texas heat my chlorine levels are.

turn your chlorinator down some more. Simply put, you are adding more chlorine than you are consuming.

Can't tell you why but the fix is simple.

Because you are adding more FC than needed. And as the CYA rises the FC is better protected from the sun.

You should really stop using the pucks immediately, your CYA is already higher than we would recommend ... at least the FC is high enough such that you should not develop algae ... yet.

Keep the FC above the minimum listed in the CYA/FC chart and you should be fine, but eventually the pucks will not be adding enough FC to overcome the stabilization as the CYA keep rising.

Right now 5ppm is the minimum you should let the FC get.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

That was my initial thought as well - my CYA was fairly high so it's not burning off as fast as it was a few months ago. In the next week or so I'm going to do a partial drain to get it back down to a more reasonable number. Speaking of draining, is it best to do it all at once, or would it make more sense to do it in two 25% increments (I was planning on doing a 50% change).

Generally all at once is faster, if you are able to without structural integrity worries.

Two 25% drains would only drop the CYA by 44% (.75*.75) where one 50% drain would lower it by 50%.

That's a good point.

What kind of structural integrity issues should I be concerned about? The pool is about eight months old, gunite construction with a pebbletec finish. I was thinking about just using the backwash port on my multiport and then throwing a couple hoses in the pool to fill it back up.

Floating the pool out of the ground if you have high ground water table. Certainly not a problem here since the water table is measured in 100s of feet :D

Also not usually a good idea to run all that water backward through the filter in my opinion. If you have a waste function and can isolate the floor drains, then that would be fine.

Hmmm... OK. I guess I should do some research before I drain it. I suppose I can check with the guys that built it. Thanks for that info!

As always, I really appreciate the help on here!

FC is rising cause we had cooler weather AND cooler water last week too. Down to 68 at night in Texas in August. Almost scary!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.