Fiberglass over a a cracked gunite shell

Jul 29, 2013
I have a small(12000 gal) gunite or shotcrete pool in my backyard which badly needs renovation. The shell is leaking, A couple of PB have insisted that they can repair the shell with a combination of staples and epoxies and replaster. I am concerned about continues leaking. One PB told me that there was a like a chance as not that the old shell is shot and would need to be replaced. Although he wouldn't be sure until the paint and plaster are removed.

My question is: Assume that the shell is not worth repairing. Would it be a viable solution to fiberglass the shell?

I appreciate the help in advance.

I appreciate the input. Point of clarification Mod Squad: Would you consider the fiberglass/epoxy a last resort, the fiberglass over the cracked shell, or both? I guess I understand that you think the shell repairable, at least in theory, using some kind of Urethane, staples, torquelock in combination then replastering. My preference is to repair and replaster the pool- and to have it not leak. Problem is that by the time I get the coping and tiles off and remove the paint and plaster i will be so far into the project. I am afraid to determine at that point that my shell is hopelessly compromised as the one PB suspects and have to make a quick desision because everyone worries about "pool pop". Except for me. I think that stuff is not so real, especially in the southwest. That is why I ask if fiberglass over a cracked shell is adequate or is it a repair based on a false assumption.

Thank you everyone.

I am no expert on gunite. But if you have a cracked shell that is comprised of some sort of concrete trying to patch that is pure luck to get it watertight. An overlay of a fiberglass mat on the entire gunite shell will seal the crack. Just my opinion. Take that for what it cost you to get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.