hayward super pump wiring help

Jun 27, 2013
I just opened up the box to my Hayward super pump (sp2607x10) and noticed there was no cord. I've got the pool guy coming Thursday to install the pool. I need to make sure I have power so he can connect the pump. Can I add a cord to the pump or do I need to hardwire it to the breaker?

Thanks

Do you not run the pump with a timer? You should hard wire it to the timer ... or I guess a breaker if you do not use a timer (which you should ;) )

The wiring diagram is on the the placard on the motor.

How do I connect the cord to the pump?
I thought i could plug the pump into a timer i use for the holiday lights. The timer would then plug into the outlet that connects to the new 15 amp circuit breaker. Will that work?

That is highly likely not to meet code. You need to check what is required by your local ordinances.

You would connect the cord to the pump the same way you would hook any hard wiring to the pump.

Also note most Super Pump models can be wired either 120V or 240V, this may mean wiring to a different screw terminal, or moving a jumper on the motor, or both. You will not find detailed instructions in the manual only a diagram on the motor, this is because the motor manufacturer tends to change the wiring connections with different updates to the motor design. I have owned a few Super Pumps over the years, and I don't think any two had the exact same connection on the motor. There are many youtube videos that show hot to wire pool pumps, perhaps one of those would be helpful for you.

Ike

I am having my pool installed this week. I am by no means an electrician, neither am I offering advice. I am simply telling you what I did. My PB told me I need a 220 line run to the location of the equipment. I ran 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker from my box to the equipment location. If I had to do it all again, I would use a regular 2 pole 30 amp breaker in my main box and then run that to a sub box that would contain the 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker. That would give me more flexibility at the equipment pad.

If you ran a couple extra wires to the pad you could have both 220 and 110 at the pad so you could add a 220 timer to run the pump and have the code required 110 convenience outlet. OR, you can run 220 a subpanel near the pool and break it out in that panel. But IIRC you would need to have a separate grounding loop there. 110 and 220 use the same number of conductors, its all in how they are connected.

I am not an electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.