New to BBB and need HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2007
Frostburg, MD
I am new to the BBB method. I used Bacquacil for many, many years and the last two had no sparkle to my water. I began doing some research online this winter to decide what sanitizer to switch to since we were doing new walls and liner this spring, so it would be a great time to switch. We filled out pool Saturday night. I added the bleach beginning on Sunday morning. I have been trying to keep the cl level at 12 since my cya is approx. 25-30. It has been dropping overnight, but just to around 10. The water looks great, clearer and more sparkle than it has had in years. My question is, do I need to run the filter 24/7 until the cl holds overnight, or can it be turned off at night after allowing time for just added bleach to circulate? Also, should I use the solar cover while trying to get the cl to hold? I am trying to be patient, but now that it looks so good, it is tempting to let the level drop to 5. Is it too soon yet to do that?

My pool is above ground, vinyl liner, 7200 gallons.

Thanks for the help!

You need to keep you Cl at shock (I would say 15) until it holds at 15 overnight. Run your pump 24/7 to get rid of the goo, and backwash frequently.

When your chlorine holds overnight, change out your filter media (as in replace it with fresh, don't just clean it) Check and adjust your Ph, and get some stabilizer in there.

Come back and ask any questions, any time, and welcome to TFP!

ETA a FC of .5 is too low to do you any good. even if you have 0 stabilizer (CYA) you need 1-3 ppm Cl. More on this later... for now, just keep your FC up till it holds.

Edit again... I am just not reading thoroughly! If you are converting from Baqua, you will not have any CYA in your pool. The CYA test checks for turbidity, or stuff floating in the water. If you have a pool full of baquagoo, it will interfere with the test (as can an algae bloom) even if the water appears clear, it might not be!

We already changed the sand since we had to completely drain the pool when we put in new walls and liner. I am currently adding stabilizer, cya is at 28 right now.

I will continue to run the filter 24/7 until I can get the cl level to hold overnight.

Should I keep the solar cover (clear) on now or wait until done shocking?

Thanks for your quick response!

You will need to change the sand again when your conversion is over. Luckily sand is cheap! Ok, that explains the CYA. You need to look at the best guess chart to find your optimal FC level... I think for 30-50 CYA the FC shgould be 3-6 with shock of 15

reread my original post, as I was editing it as you were replying...

I don't know about the cover, seems logical to keep it on, but I have no idea on that one.

Ok, apparantly I am way too tired to be doing this tonight.

I'm confused. If you drained your water, why are you converting from baqua? Did you put the baqua back in? If not, you are just starting fresh with BBB, and let that FC drop to 3 or so and hop in the pool!

I'm sure I must be missing something else... let me know! :roll:

Sounds like you about got it whooped...I would hold off on adding any more cya...If your water is nice and clear and you are only loosing 2 ppm over a 24 hours I would let the chlorine drop to about 5 or so and dive in....What is the rest of your chem results ??
Steve

k,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you aren't doing a baq conversion are you? Aren't you starting with an essentially new pool (new liner, water, filter sand)?

If so, you don't really need to shock to start off. Just, in this order, get your pH in line (7.2-7.8), your chlorine between 3 and 6 ppm, and your alkalinity between 80 and 120 ppm and enjoy the benefits of simple, effective pool care. Adjust those chlorine numbers as needed based on where your CYA settles out.

Kperkins,

It sounds like you're off to a great start. Have you changed the filter media (cartridge, sand, DE)? If not, that might be where that Cl loss is coming from.

If you've already changed the filter, I'd suggest boosting it up one more evening to 15-18ppm and then let it settle on down to the 3-5ppm range you're looking for. A 2ppm loss overnight, while not perfect, is not too bad and I think you may be pretty well baquagoo free. Are you able to test for CC's? that would be another indicator one way or the other.

I wouldn't use the solar cover, the sun helps get rid of some of the bad stuff in your water. It sounds like you have a pretty good test kit. Are you able to post some test results? That'll help us get very definitive on your course of action.

Your water clarity is the best indicator and it sounds like you're very close to crystal clear....nice work! :wink: :wink:

EDIT: just read the above posts and the four of us all have slightly different takes but not critically different. My suggestion to shock is more of an insurance policy than anything. Med is saying that your 2ppm loss in 24 hours is fine....it certainly is but I think the others of us are assuming you're losing that 2ppm at night. Kurt is saying you should be good to go but, if that loss is truly during the night hours, I suspect you might have a little something in there that a big dose of Cl will finish off

Oh thank goodness somebody else is here! I think I was assuming a conversion, when they are really just starting fresh with BBB. May be wrong on that, too! I'm going to bed.

KP... post your full set of numbers in the morning, and let us know whether you are CONVERTING or simply starting fresh with the BBB method and fresh clean water! Then things will make more sense, as we will know which way to direct you!

Thanks for all the quick responses!! I just got up and tested my water. Here are my results:

FC 10.0 (last night boosted to 11.0 since my cya is not for sure)
CC .5
TA 90
PH 7.3
CYA 25 - 30 (I tested last night and am guessing around 28 as my test does not go below 30. this may not be complete
since I added the stabilizer less than 1 week ago, and from what I have been reading it may take up to a
week to fully dissolve and register)

I am sorry that I was not very clear last night. We have not had any Bacquacil in the water this year, so I guess I am doing a new start up. I used Bac in previous years and have not been happy for at least the last 2. We did a full drain and replace of walls and liner last weekend and started up with fresh water (from the creek out back) and fresh sand in the filter.

Am I right in thinking that since I have cc that means that I am still fighting something in my water? Yesterday there were no ccs in the reading, but this morning there are.

The water is crystal clear :-D I am very excited about that since I can't remember the last time it was this sparkling 8)

Should I keep my solar cover on, or does it make a difference and should I keep raising to shock level until the cc is gone?

Thanks for your patience with my never ending questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice numbers...they help a lot.

1. I would raise the Cl up above 15 (say 18-20ppm) just once more and then let it come down into the 3-5ppm range. When you shock, you're trying to reach "breakpoint" chlorination. When you do (and 15-18 should do it) another chemical reaction occurs and get's rid of the CC's. It's not uncommon to have <.5CC's in good water.....no problem. I'm suggesting one more shock as insurance.

2. Leave your solar cover off....It'll help get rid of the CC's

3. Like you, I would leave the CYA alone for now...it'll probably be good all summer

4. The rest of your numbers are very good. I think your pool is in great shape....great work.

5. Test Cl pretty frequently for a while. You'll soon find how much Cl is being used daily and you can put it in without testing.

I just went out and added bleach to boost chlorine to 18 and will try to maintain there today and tonight and let it come down tomorrow. Thanks again for your help and encouragement :-D

So far this has been much easier (and less expensive) than bacquacil and I am getting much better results. My water actually looks like pool water should!! 8)

This is the best info I have been able to find on swimming pool maintainance and chemicals. All the mods are great to share their knowledge so freely. I give BBB Method and this forum an A+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.