Help! Fiberglass Pool in Austin, TX: what are my options?

Aug 18, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

My wife and I are interested in a basic, no-frills, swimming pool for our home. We're not interested in anything custom, so a basic off-the-shelf fiberglass pool seems the way to go, especially with regards to the long-term maintenance. We like the Liesure Pools' products, such as the Elegance, Reflection, Tuscany and Palladium designs. It's really going to come down to how much pool we can fit into our small backyard without taking down a gigantic pecan tree. Site restrictions aside, I'm interested to hear from any other Austin-ites, especially in areas of Austin that are bounded by 183-Mopac-Parmer-I35, that have had a fiberglass pool installed.

As for budget, we'd really like to stay in the $30k range for the basic pool build. Surrounding landscaping we'll do ourselves, aside from the attached decking.

One major concern we have is the ability of the pool to withstand the clay soil expansion and contraction. Due to the composition of our soil, the drought and water restrictions in Austin wreak havoc on our home foundation. Am I correct in that fiberglass pools are somewhat able to handle pretty significant shifts in the ground, beyond an inch or two?

Finally, is there anyone out there that is willing to share their quotes, experiences, recommendations, etc?

Thanks!

- D

Re: Help! Fiberglass Pool in Austin, TX: what are my options

I know the look is different but would an above ground or a partially buried above ground (with deck) be tree and ground motion friendly?

Also steel walled in-ground vinyl pool are also an option. I don't think fiberglass pool allow for ANY motion. I could be wrong but all i read about FG pool is the cracks that occur they they are not installed correctly or they have motion.

Re: Help! Fiberglass Pool in Austin, TX: what are my options

I'm a bit out of my pay grade here but I would suspect fiberglass to be the most forgiving of poor soil of any pool type.

Installed properly, they have great backfill (rock) underneath and around the pool that should handle ANY soil issues very nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.