Stubborn pool

xanadu

Jun 24, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Pool been fine most of summer except for the last 2 weeks with all the rain we have been getting. Algae keeps coming back even after a shock, and vacuum to waste. Plus then a healty dose of 60% algecide.
Just did the shock 3 days ago, and the algea is back again!

FC is 3.8 ppm, TC is 3.8 ppm, CC is 0, PH is 7.4, TA is 240 ppm, CYA is 50 ppm.

xanadu said:
Pool been fine most of summer except for the last 2 weeks with all the rain we have been getting. Algae keeps coming back even after a shock, and vacuum to waste. Plus then a healty dose of 60% algecide.
Just did the shock 3 days ago, and the algea is back again!

FC is 3.8 ppm, TC is 3.8 ppm, CC is 0, PH is 7.4, TA is 240 ppm, CYA is 50 ppm.
Instead of spending money on algaecide and doing the "shock", why not try the SLAM process? Essentially, that's taking the chlorine level to shock level and maintaining it until the algae is gone. It typically takes several days. Sometimes several weeks if the pool water is thick and green.

From what I know, your CL of 3.8 is too low for a CYA of 50. Perhaps you're not keeping your CL levels high enough (even as they may drop during the day) as they should stay above 4 with a target of 6 per the Chlorine-CYA chart.

I did not want to do the slam as we only have 3 weeks left really of swimming weather if we are lucky, and then I will be draining the pool completly and putting it away.
I have been going based on water sample taken to my local pool store (whom is very good at not selling over selling me). Actually talks me out of quite a bit as he is sure I can make do without somethings, just be wasting my money according to him.
Do I test daily....no, as I use only test strips.
I watch and manage the PH 2 times per week and it seems pretty bang on.
I would agree that the CL level seems low, I use pucks, so have to open up the slot wider to let more out.

What brand bleach popular around here instead of using pucks? Can you use regualr household bleach?

It's up to you on how to handle the rest of the season.

I would suggest you spend some time reading in pool school for next season. One of our recommended test kits is a must have to manage your pool yourself.

Yes, you can use regular household bleach.

pwrstrk said:
It's up to you on how to handle the rest of the season.

I would suggest you spend sometime reading in pool school for next season. One of our recommended test kits is a must have to manage your pool yourself.

Yes, you can use regular household bleach.

Yes, I agree. This is my first year with a sand filter and I need to learn more. I guess I was lucky the last 2 years as we had hardly had any algea problems with the cartridge filter. Only once, but that was my error as neglecting it at near the end of the season for 3 weeks......poof! algea bloom due to the hot weather.

I will buy a good test kit over the winter and learn how to use it properly.

Is using liquid chlorine better than bleach, or no real differance besides cost?

Bleach is liquid chlorine. Most household bleach is 8.25%. You can also get 10% and 12.5% liquid chlorine. For the best prices you have to shop around.

The filter type has no bearing on algae blooms. Maintaining proper FC levels for your CYA level is the key to algae prevention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.