Why use Calcium Hypochlorite?

splash

Oct 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was using Calcium Hypochlorite occasionally as a chlorine boost; however, after using a few bags my filter would start to clog. I used RE-FRESH brand. It is 68% Cal Hypo and 32% Other Ingredients. There seems to be a lot of insoluble ingredients. My question is: Why add this stuff if part of it is insoluble and will just clog my filter? Is this a side effect of using Cal hypo no matter the brand?
Thanks

Well, I would first ask where you are adding it? To the skimmer?

In any event, you ask a great question. The main philosophy we adhere too, is not adding anything too our pools we don't have too. It's all about minimizing side effects. Cal Hypo has lots of Calcium in it and many parts of the country already have high calcium in the water so it's not a good thing to add more in those cases. It can be a source of chlorine for a period of time for those with very soft water, because IG pools need a given amount of calcium in them. Otherwise, it is not generally a good thing to use it for long. The reason people do, is because they do not realize the side effects and Pool Stores don't care in most cases as long as they are selling product. The reason they make it, is because Chlorine needs a binder to be in dry form and calcium works well for that. Hope that helps.

I add the cal hypo by sprinkling it around the deep end. I needed to increase the calcium levels in my pool so I thought it would be convenient to add chlorine and calcium at the same time. I guess i can still use it by disolving it in a bucket, let the insoluble part settle, and carefully pour the liquid into the pool without the gunk. Not too convenient though. :(

Yes, and in fact should be almost entirely dissolved before even getting to your filter even if you add it straight to the skimmer. I'm not sure why yours would be doing this. What are your pH and CH levels?

splash said:
Does all the ingredients in calcium hypochrite eventually become soluable and therefore would not clog a filter?

Yes, and that's why over some time your Calcium Hardness will rise from using this product. It dissolves completely and should not be a cause for your filter being fouled or stopped up. Something else is going on if you have that happening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.