Question on Closing an Above Ground Pool

I have a had pretty good success with using the TFP method this summer, so now I am thinking about how you recommend closing as far as chemicals go.

We usually wait till early October and dump in what the pool store sells. What are the TFP recommendations?
Not sure if I have my info in my sig, we have a 24 ft round AG with a deep end, around 16000 gallons.

AS far as the pillow goes, here in Michigan we are told that the pillow prevents damage to the pool walls from the water freezing. It is expected that the pillows only last a year, but we have actually not lost any of ours. 1 for a round pool, 2 for an oval.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The only chems I plan on using to close is bleach. I plan on putting the winter cover on when the leaves begin to fall and just maintain my levels as always. Then when its time to pull the pump and filter, when temps are getting close to freezing, I'll bring my FC up to shock level for my CYA level with bleach and I should be good to go.

Never used a pillow nor has my pool been destroyed by freezing water, but it doesn't hurt to use them. As for chemicals, I lower the pH to 7.2 and raise the FC to SLAM level the night before and raise it back up if needed in the morning before I start draining. That's all I do to the water, I stopped using an algaecide a few years ago. The FC loss for a covered pool with near freezing water is so low that I still get an FC reading when I open it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.