Another pint please

cbink

Feb 4, 2013
Houston, Tx
Anyone else read this blog?
I quite enjoy reading it and it has some decent recipes appear on it.
Obviously it talks about beer too which can only be a positive thing IMO! :cheers:
If you haven't heard of it I think it's worth checking out. I always enjoy flicking through it

Bookmarked this blog in my browser. Has some good links contained within, some of which I have visited previously. Poolside activities and outdoor cooking are two of my passions. I plan to do my part to increase traffic and participation in the Outdoor Cooking forum within TFP.

I just think it's a good read. If I'm looking for a recipe it's often a good starting point for me. I too love to cook (inside & out). Hopefully next year I can have a proper outdoor setup but even with my basic grill I'm still outside cooking 4-5 times/wk.

Seared some great Ahi Tuna last night along with some garlic butter shrimp. Got some porterhouse steaks (they're incredibly cheap at HEB - $5-6/ea!) for tonight. I'm a great convert to multi-zone cooking and reverse searing, it's been working really well for me.

cbink said:
I'm a great convert to multi-zone cooking and reverse searing...
I have been reading a lot about reverse searing lately and will have to give it a try the next time I grill steaks. I think Ahi Tuna would still come out better with the quick "sear-first" method. But for steaks, the science behind the reverse sear method discussed in most of the articles I have read makes sense in theory. It seems similar to an accelerated version of the sous-vide method. I have tried that method (sous-vide) on whole Eye Round, which can be a tough cut of meat if not properly prepared. After the long sous-vide cook process (cooking the meat in a vacuum-packed plastic bag submerged in 125-130°F water overnight and into the next day), I then seared the meat briefly under an infra-red burner and it was as tender as a Filet Mignon.

Melt In The Sun said:
Yeah, reverse sear is great, it's just a bit of extra effort. For tuna, since you want the middle absolutely raw, reverse sear would ruin it!
Yeah the Tuna didn't get reverse seared!
Just 45 secs on each side on direct medium high heat to give it a nice sear around the outside but leave the middle rare.

techguy said:
I had some tuna last week... nice and pink/red, laying on daikon next to the salmon .... yummy!
I love Tuna. I like Salmon too but have always preferred Rainbow Trout, mainly because it always used to be cheaper to get (I grew up in the UK and Trout was a lot cheaper than Salmon) and I really like the taste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only rainbow trout I ever ate was about 20 feet from a camper/caravan with my grandfather. We were usually within site of the lake where we caught it.

OK, I caught some without him... but it was still camping. I don't think I have ever paid for trout.

My tuna was sushi...

since this is a pint thread... i did have a pint of cider that night!

techguy said:
The only rainbow trout I ever ate was about 20 feet from a camper/caravan with my grandfather. We were usually within site of the lake where we caught it.

OK, I caught some without him... but it was still camping. I don't think I have ever paid for trout.

My tuna was sushi...

since this is a pint thread... i did have a pint of cider that night!
Clearly I hadn't had enough coffee (or beer) when I responded as I missed that!

I was craving an Innis & Gunn with the Tuna. Need to see if I can find it at Specs or similar. Definitely NOT a session beer, but Dang good to pair with food, particularly seafood IMO.

http://www.innisandgunn.com/the-range/core-range/original/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.