Algae growing in 15 ppm FC. How come?

Hello,
I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool. I was following the typo on the Weekly Test Kit laminated sheet, so I thought my levels were lower than they actually were. In the equation example the test kit sheet has (i.e. 14 drops x .05= 7) instead of x .5. Just figured that out.
That being said, here were my levels BEFORE going into super shock mode.
FC 15 gr
CC .5
TC 15.5
TA 80
CYA 60
I've added two gallons of liquid shock and two bags of granular shock and put 2 new hockey pucks in the floater and am going to retest shortly. I scrubbed down the pool walls to get rid of the green once again.
Temperature has been unusually cool this week.

ChemicalBreakdown said:
Hello,
I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool. I was following the typo on the Weekly Test Kit laminated sheet, so I thought my levels were lower than they actually were. In the equation example the test kit sheet has (i.e. 14 drops x .05= 7) instead of x .5. Just figured that out.
That being said, here were my levels BEFORE going into super shock mode.
FC 15 gr
CC .5
TC 15.5
TA 80
CYA 60
I've added two gallons of liquid shock and two bags of granular shock and put 2 new hockey pucks in the floater and am going to retest shortly. I scrubbed down the pool walls to get rid of the green once again.
Temperature has been unusually cool this week.
If the pucks are trichlor they have CYA. You don't want to add more CYA. Your level is getting pretty high now.

ChemicalBreakdown said:
I've had my TFT kit for around 2 weeks and can't figure out why algae is still growing in my pool.
FC 15 gr
CC .5
CYA 60
Maybe the algae was growing before you got your test kit and based on your CYA, you never got up to a high enough FC level to kill it off. Per this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock you need to gt your FC up to 24.

Thanks for the replies.
Entirely possible the algae was still lurking before I got the kit to make sure the levels were high enough to prevent it from coming back.
Will soldier on with the SLAM process and we're getting doused with another round of rain to make it more fun. I might need to have a whole truckload of the liquid shock (12.5%) delivered. It is actually cheaper than the lower concentration plain bleach at our supermarket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.