Water in ground by pipe

May 26, 2013
So I was getting air in my pump and coming out my jets. I checked around for issues but couldn't find any. I dug down a little near the pipe that comes out of the ground and connects my pump to the skimmer. There was a small amount of water. When I turn the pump on it doesn't come back but as soon as I shut it off it does. I'm not losing water or at least not a lot of water in the pool. I can't find the hole though. It seems like its by two clamps that were down about a foot but I'm not positive. Is there an easy way to find the leak? Once I find it can I repair without replacing the pipe? Any help is appreciated.

Here is a picture of the problem. When I close of the pipe and just let the bottom drain work the air bubbles stop. It appears to be leaking from the connection. I've tightened both clamps but it didn't help. Any ideas on how I should approach fixing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 25
That connection is likely the culprit. Seems like you might be able to fill up the hole with water and turn on the pump. There should be no bubbles in the pump strainer basket then and that will positively identify the culprit.

Rubber couplings are pretty troublesome for leaking. I would simply make a hard PVC coupling there and be done with it if that turns out to be the air source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.