Automation with low speed filtering and trichlor

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I use 3" tri-chlor pucks when I need to drive my CYA levels up. I have a Pentair Rinbow 320C inline chlorinator. I used to use it when I had a single speed pump and in general I was happy with it.

However on a slow speed filtering there is not enough water flow to sustain the levels of chlorination needed. I did several modifications to adapt for lower water flow:

- switched to top level feeding
- removed the regulating switch (WOT all the time)
- replaced the feeder tube with large diameter one

Still there is not enough flow. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make it work? if not with this chlorinator is there any kind of a gizmo that would work for my situation? Obviously I can put the pucks into the skimmer but I want to avoid this for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

[attachment=0:2h814tfx]726531-1_9.jpg[/attachment:2h814tfx]

Attachments

• 726531-1_9.jpg
    726531-1_9.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 121
jblizzle,

thanks for you response.

jblizzle said:
Put the pucks in a floater?

floater is an option. i haven't considered them since they seem to be a bit unreliable for me. i don't want one of them to be stuck in one corner chlorinating the heck out of my liner.

jblizzle said:
How often are you needing to raise the CYA? Why not supplement with bleach to maintain adequate FC?

my swimming season is short and with a solar cover FC demand is small, so i can go with pucks for half of season or even more. supplementing FC with bleach would defeat the convenience of using trichlor. if i were to use the bleach, i would simply add actual CYA.

i'm in a position where i can safely use trichlor and cal-hypo. i know the danger of high CYA and high calcium and keep it under control.

my post is regarding how to use the trichlor pucks with a low speed filtering.

hmmm you should be able to keep FC in there on a slow flow with a wide open tap.

Are you sure you don't have an obstruction in the line?

I can keep a FC of 3 in my 20K pool with a 23 hour run at 100 watts with the chlorinator tap set on 1.

I only do this when leaving town. My Cya is under 30 PPM.

I use bleach most of the time to keep the CYA level from rising. Whats your CYA at now?

On rare occasions if you need more you can drop a 3" puck in a floater and tie it close to the skimmer opening.

This will get the solution into your system quickly like a puck in the skimmer but when your pump shuts off the floater tab will dissolve in the pool vs the basket. You can also tie a floater close to a return.

Id focus on a blocked line,

Id also open up the filter to see if you have an algae farm growing in there, and clean everything up.

UD

no, there is no blocked line. the flow is good on both hi and low speed. i have a flow meter, vacuum gauge and a pressure gauge. all of them agree on the good flow. it's the flow thru the chlorinator that is restricted. i could take a check vavle from it, but i doubt it will increase the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.