complete my 'signature' and info on use

phawn

Jul 29, 2013
mn
I purchased a used pool and equipment. Unfortunately there are no manuals with anything and I am trying to learn as much as I can about install and use. Thanks to this forum I found out I have a Raypak/Rudd 266 BTU gas heater. I have taken pictures of the pump (splapool 72729, 8 amp,1 SPL HP, 75 GPM, 115 V), there is also a sand filter that has a couple model numbers (D-400 or 500 or 600). The circumference of the filter is 52 in. Any basics of install and initial setup/use would be appreciated. There is no sand in it so I don't even know what/how much sand to use. I am also interested in your thoughts on the overall group of equipment, is it appropriate for pool?

Attachments

• 20130730_115127.jpg
    20130730_115127.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 20130817_092754.jpg
    20130817_092754.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20130817_092915.jpg
    20130817_092915.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 137
It is hard to find info on the "SPLAPOOL" brand.

The pump appears to be an uprated 1 hp pump.

The filter is (52/12/pi/2)^2*pi= 1.49 sq. ft. but probably more like 1.4 sq. ft. due to the filter wall thickness. I would guess this is a 100 lb sand filter, since that is what pentair and hayward filters of the same diameter are.

This filter is small for your pool. If you were buying a new filter, we would recommend a minimum 2.6 sq. ft. filter.

You will need "pool filter sand" that can be bought at pool stores and some big box home improvement stores.

and how do I set the filter up? Put sand and water in, cover it and then hook up to system with pump. I am not sure of the purpose of all the valve locations. Which one do I at least start it in? This is our first pool so are learning everything from scratch.
Also, is the pump a type that would just stay on continuous?
The pool is just about full so I am assuming I let it get past the skimmer and I should be able to turn on the pump.

As I stated above, I think that is a 100 lb filter (the D-400). So 100 lbs. In my experience, it usually is around 2/3 from the top of the "cylindrical" style filters.

Use "pool filter sand" it should be #20 silica sand.

Thanks,
Do I then fill it with water, put the multiport top on and put it on circulate? The directions on the side of the cylinder make reference to a relief valve but I don't see one on it.
Also, do the written in multivalve locations seem correct? which one would it be on initially?

Thanks,
Then hook up, set to 'backflush', turn on pump, let run, shut off pump, then put to 'filter', then turn pump back on? Again, no relieve valve noticeable. There is a drain plug on the bottom but that must be for winterizing I assume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check to make sure the laterals are not damaged. Ther is supposed to be a pipe running down the center of the filter that the multiport valve connects to. At the bottom there will be an array of tubes radiating out from it, these are the laterals. These tubes are slotted for water to flow thru. This has to be in good working order (no bloken parts) prior to filling with sand. It also has a locator molded into the bottom of the tank to position it properly.

Waste bypasses the sand bed entirely and goes directly to the waste port, rinse is the same as filter (goes through the sand in the same direction) but the flow gets routed out the waste port and does not go to the pool. The purpose of rinse is to get out any remaining debris that was left in the filter path from backwashing so that it does not go to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.