Opening with high ph anyone?

mbar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2007
Ashland PA
There have been a lot of posts in the stain section on the Pool Forum this year about plaster pools getting scale over the winter . It seems that some dirt has gotten encapsulated by the scale, causing stains. Some of the pools are new, and others have not had a problem before with this. They all have mesh covers. I live in Northeast Pa and have a fiberglass pool - I have always opened to very low ph in the spring - this year my ph was above 8. I though it strange at the time, but chalked it up to the fact that my pool was a pond - we had so much rain this year, and my pool actually overflowed and had to be drained down. Then all those hot days.... I wasn't sure where to post this, but was wondering if many others noticed a higher than usual ph on opening this year?

I had very high pH to start and NO CYA - usually I still have CYA and the pH is fine - vinyl lined pool.
Also had a couple of ducks using it twice a day until about a week ago when I tied fishing line all around and over the pool.
I am finding a boatload of bird Crud on my solar cover daily, from these blackbirds that keep bombarding everything that does not look like grass (pool, concrete walkways, driveway) - stupid birds - for some reason, this year is really bad for them and I wouldn't be surprised if all their Crud has a lot to do with all these chemical changes. I hear they "dispose" of their baby Crud from the nests by way of mouth - usually over water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.