Recommendations for auto fill devices?

N2ition

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
Double Oak, Texas
We purchased our home in December and I am finally feeling like I have a handle in pool maintenance thanks to these forums. My only problem is that for the 3rd time this year I have turned the fill on in my pool and then forgotten it and flooded the pool and yard. Of course this only happens when I FINALLY get the chems balanced. Anyway, I don't fill from a hose as my equipment has a fill button that fills the pool at one of skimmers. I know that if I use a hose there are devices that will detect the water level and turn it on and off. I am wondering if there is a similar device for a pool that has a built-in fill feature that my pool could be retrofit with? If so, who makes them and how much can I expect to spend on it?

Mine has a float valve that regulates the water level. Is your electric that just turns the water on and off? If electric, surprised it does not just have a timer option.

No luck with the timer option. Honestly, even if I couldn't get a water level detector, I would be happy if there was an auto shutoff timer that could be set for 20 minutes or so. But it doesn't appear mine will let me set a timer for that.

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a timer on my Hayward/Goldline system? The Fill is connected to "valve 3" and all I really need is to be able to set up a timer similar to the Super-Chlorinate so that it will automatically shut itself off after a designated amount of time. Typically I never need to add more than about 20 minutes worth of water but it has been flooded repeatedly because it gets turned on and then we forget to shut it off.

Oh ... if the fill is hooked up to a valve in the Goldline Automation (you do not have that in your signature), then it should be easy to set up a timer. I think you can either set it to come on for a certain amount of time each day or you could have a countdown timer after you push the button to turn it on manually.

Let me review the manual.

Which Goldline do you have?

I think it is the AquaLogic PS-8 model. (At least that is what I see on one of the stickers inside the panel. I'm attaching photos in case I am wrong.
ejezaved.jpg

u8ezeju4.jpg

zerahege.jpg

I am grateful for ANY help you can give as even though I have my pool chems under control...the automation system still intimidates the Crud out of me.

Oh, yeah you are golden. I have the P4 and it looks like you can not do a countdown timer on Valve 3, but in the PS models you can :party:

Go to the Configuration Menu that is locked.
Hold the < and > buttons for 5 seconds to unlock the menu.
Use the > button to scroll through the menu until you get to Valve 3.
Push the + button to scroll through the settings for Valve 3.
At the "Function" setting it sounds like it is set to "Manual On/Off" change that to "Countdown Timer"
I think you also want "Interlock" to be "disabled" ... this will allow the valve to be open even if the pump is off

And that is all in Config Menu so exit that.
Then enter the Timers Menu and set the number of minutes you want Valve 3 to stay on after you manually turn it on.
That is all ... of course watch it the first time to be sure it works as expected.

Alternatively (although not recommended), instead of "Countdown" you could make it "Timeclock" and have it run for a certain period every day.

Let me know if it works out.

EDIT: Although looking at the pictures, yours is a little older model than the ProLogic manual I was looking at ... so I HOPE it is the same for yours.

Jblizzle you are a POOL GOD! Everything worked perfect for making the change to my configuration! I can't actually test it yet since my pool is already at capacity and my water bill will be outrageous this month from my earlier over site. Once levels go down I will grab a cocktail and enjoy watching the pool fill and turn itself off. :). I'll let you know then if I have any issues.

As far as setting the kitchen timer, I normally set the timer on my phone, but the last time I filled the pool my phone rang in the middle of setting it and my ADD kicked it and I completely spaced it the second I answered the call.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The timer only works in 5 minute increments...but trust me, 5 minutes is infinitely less stress than leaving the stupid fill on for 5+ hours. A five minute test today would put me at overflow again (it fills FAST) and I just got the chems balanced out again. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.