Need Advice

Aug 16, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Spent many hours reading here today, on way home bought the test kit at Leslie's that was recommended, learned a lot already.

My test numbers are so out of whack I need some advice on where to start:

fc - 2
tc - 3
so that makes cc = 1
cya - 48
ph 8.0
calcium 600 ppm

I have a deep well for water, guess that is why the calcium is so high. I am guessing throw a gallon of acid in to try and get the PH right and go from there?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Now for some possible bad news ... which kit did you buy? The K-2005 (DPD) test is what Leslies usually carries and is NOT the kit we recommend which is the K-2006 (FAS-DPD) kit. Based on the results you posted, I think you may be another victim of the pool store telling you it is the same thing.

Luckily you can just add the FAS-DPD test and then have the equivalent of the K-2006: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Use poolcalculator.com to tell you how much acid is needed to lower the pH into the 7s.
Note you need to input your current TA for it to be accurate for the amount of acid needed (you did not report TA).

Thanks, yes, that was the most expensive one they had, so its what I got. I will order the other next week, my wife already thinks I am nuts taking this on.....

fc - 2
tc - 3
so that makes cc = 1
cya - 48
ph 8.0
calcium 600 ppm
My TA is 100

No, for spending $70 on the kit....once the pool is clear it will be all good.....going to add the acid tonight and go from there.

I will see if Leslie's has the other chemicals in the morning.

Ok, I will just order it. Can you tell me anything based on the test results I do have, other than getting the ph down of course.

The calcium worries me, as my rocks have calcium build up and the pool is only 4 years old.

Some build up is nearly inevitable just due to evaporation, but calcium scaling can be reduced by keeping the pH in the low to mid 7s even at your CH.

Generally, if you have a CC > 0.5ppm that means you should go through the SLAM process to eliminate what is in the water. BUT, I am not sure how well you can truely differentiate the colors in the DPD test to see a 1ppm difference. And if SLAMing is required, you need the FAS-DPD test to do it correctly.

So, I would suggest getting that and then seeing where you are at. Although, given a CYA of 50ppm (how did you arrive at 48???), the minimum you should let the FC get is 4ppm ... and I would even shoot for around 10ppm initially to head off the cause of the higher CC. See Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wait, just realized you have a SWG, so keeping the FC above around 3ppm should be fine with a CYA of 50ppm. I still might suggest to raise the FC up to 10ppm once with bleach and let it drift down slowly with the SWG running.

Then when you get the FAS-DPD check the FC and CC so see if you need to SLAM. If you don't (or after you finish), then you may want to raise the CYA up higher for the SWG.

Ok, here we go, first off your FC is a little too low for your CYA level see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock in pool school, pH needs to be reduced with acid, and I would suggest checking the CH of your fill water, post that and get back with us. You may need to follow the SLAM process in pool school if your CC is really 1.0 (hard to tell until you get or do until you get the FAS-DPD test kit), note it has been posted on here in the past that Leslies commerical pool supply has the FAS-DPD test and I think it has been mentioned there is one in Carrolton or at least around that part of the metroplex

gmcnitt said:
No, for spending $70 on the kit....once the pool is clear it will be all good.....going to add the acid tonight and go from there.

I will see if Leslie's has the other chemicals in the morning.

If your water is not clear, you should SLAM. As stated previously, you'll need the FAS-DPD test to do this accurately. I agree with the previous recommendation to go ahead and bring your chlorine level up to around 10 ppm now. Use liquid chlorine to do this; don't try to do it with the SWG.

Ok, just ordered the TF-100 kit, should have it in a few days, 100% agree in supporting the community! I brought the Leslie's one back and asked for liquid chlorine, the guy looked at me like I was nuts. I got my refund and left......My pool is actually pretty clear, but I am getting green algae spots on the sitting and beach areas. It can probably wait for the kit to arrive, currently running the SWG at 75% 4 hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.