Trouble with Taylor test kit

Apr 26, 2008
Hello.

Are there any tips for doing the Chlorine test with the Taylor test kit that comes with the TFPTK? I can't distinguish between those shades of yellow beyond the lowest level. Will the difference be more distinct when held against a different color background?

Also, I used the chlorine chart here at TFP to shock the pool but the test kit only goes to 10 for chlorine anyway. Again, any tips? Or am I doing something horribly wrong, as evidenced by my questions?

Thanks,

Rich

richfiller said:
Hello.

Are there any tips for doing the Chlorine test with the Taylor test kit that comes with the TFPTK? I can't distinguish between those shades of yellow beyond the lowest level. Will the difference be more distinct when held against a different color background?

Also, I used the chlorine chart here at TFP to shock the pool but the test kit only goes to 10 for chlorine anyway. Again, any tips? Or am I doing something horribly wrong, as evidenced by my questions?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi, Rich,

What is TFPTK?

You need an FAS/DPD test to check high levels of chlorine. What Taylor kit do you have?

EDIT: I think I may get it, now. If you have the TF-100 test kit, you are overlooking the FAS/DPD test that's included.

What is TFPTK?

You need an FAS/DPD test to check high levels of chlorine. What Taylor kit do you have?

EDIT: I think I may get it, now. If you have the TF-100 test kit, you are overlooking the FAS/DPD test that's included.[/quote]

Thanks -

Sorry for the incorrect acronym. Yes, TF-100. I guess I made up, TFPTK. :oops:

I did overlook the FAS/DPD test. I'll go read the instructions again. I figured there was a good possibility I was missing something with the high-level chlorine test.

Any suggestions for reading the Chlorine test in the Taylor test?

Thanks again,

Rich

The OTO total chlorine test (and the pH test) is a bit easier to read, IMHO, if you hold the comparator up to the blue sky (northern exposure). Remember that this chlorine test is jut for a quick daily check when things are going good and you don't have any water problems. It will tell you if your chlorine is in the right range or of it's too low or high. think of it as a 'ballpark test' to use daily and use the FAS-DPD test weekly or when the quick test indicated a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.