Best heat pump run time?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I was searching for any threads on best times to run a heat pump to maintain temperature... I did not find any.

I don't want to run the pump 24 hours. I know that the most efficient heating time is when the outside temp is highest... so, my real question comes down to whether it is cheaper to keep the heater off at night and just let it run again after about 10am when the outside air temp is creeping back up... or should I allow it to come on a couple times at night for an hour or so to keep temp from dropping too far... curious is anyone has done any analysis on what works out to be best for run time and cost. If you have a heat pump, when do you run it and for how long, to maintain pool temp for afternoon and evening swimming?

Running only during the warmest part of the day is most efficient. The only disadvantage is that the water will be a little cold in the morning. Other than that, afternoon heating is definitely the most efficient.

Thanks, Sean. I am looking for a good solar cover. Just got the SQ175 hooked up last weekend. Seems to be working very well. I will have a week or so of run time where it is off at night and on in the morning until it gets back to temp... It will be interesting to compare and see how much less run time I will need once I have a cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.