replaced thermistor no chlorine

Aug 15, 2013
I thought it was another success story. My thermistor was cracked and there was a burn spot around the base of one prong. I soldered in a new one from digikey and the indicator lights returned to normal - yay! But there is no chlorine apparently. Pool became green, pool test strip says no chlorine, pool store says no chlorine, I don't get it :( This is a 9 year old Aquarite circuit board, 2 year old cell.

70p
al-0
r1.4

Welcome to TFP!

There are two possibilities, either the fix didn't completely work, or there is something in the water using up your chlorine. The second is a little more likely, though I can't say for sure either way just yet.

Regardless, you need to add chlorine manually until the SWG can take over.

The diagnostic display suggests that voltage isn't reaching the cell. That is normal if the cell didn't happen to be active when you took the readout. But if the cell was supposed to be active it suggests a hardware problem of some kind.

Try switching the unit to Off, wait for about 1 minute, and then switch the unit back to Auto. Within about 30 seconds, you should hear a click. Once you hear the click, scroll through the diagnostics readings and report what they say.

Also, you really need a good test kit; strips will not give you enough information to properly manage your water quality. Your chlorine level got too low while your unit was not working. This allowed algae to grow. Even if the chlorinator is working, it might not make enough to keep up.

You need to go through the full Slam process using liquid chlorine, and not relying on your chlorinator.

Did you make sure to put all of the wires back in place on the circuit board?

Are you getting any error messages or lights?

Did you plug in the cell cord, and the flow switch cord?

Thank you Jason and James. The updated CB readings are:

70p
al-0
r1.4

All wires were replaced meticulously when I made the thermistor repair. I bypassed the flow switch years ago because I was tired of replacing them, but yes it is plugged in. I shocked the pool last night and it shows a strong chlorine reading this morning. Also, I have swg connected to an aqualink rs4 which is showing normal operation as well. The generating light is always on continuous. Should the generating light be off when the cell is intermittently noy making chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.