Still losing FC Overnight

Jun 2, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Got my FAS/DPD test kit on Wednesday so I've been recording the numbers since then. Friday night I changed how I was handling the chlorine -- before I was getting it to shock level each time it would drift down. Now I'm trying to keep it above shock level so when it drifts down it never gets below shock level. With my CYA of 60, it says shock level is 18. I've kept it above that for 36 hours now. From last night to this morning my FC dropped from 22.5 to 18.5. The CC still reads something around 0.5.

I've brushed and vacuumed the pool the past 2 days. I did find a couple of leaves at the bottom but for the most part the walls and floor are clean. Started all this Thursday a week ago. Turned the pool from green to blue overnight but the water has stayed cloudy since. I've added a mountain of chlorine but have kept it at the highest the past 2 days.

It sure gets hard to keep doing this. Is it possible I've backwashed too much ? That the sand filter isn't doing it's job to clear the water ? I changed out the sand but while the water was still green. The water seems to circulate well. I did a lot of skimming by hand the first few days but there's hardly anything floating now -- a bug here and there but that's it. I keep both baskets empty.

Just hoping I'm on the right path to get this water to clear.

Steve
24' Round A/G Pool, 13500 Gallons
Sand Filter
TA 70
Ph 7.2 (last tested before these high shock levels)
CYA 60
FC 18.5 CC 0.5

You are on the right track. I can't advise you about the sand filters because I don't know anything about them really, only what I have read on this forum.

It can take several days for your shocking to work, try again tonight. Keep your level up during the day today, check after dark, add bleach, check again in the morning.

POP!!! :mrgreen:

You are fogetting the most important part of clearing your pool--PATIENCE!!!!!!!
Once your FC is holding, there is NO CC and there is NO green then you have killed the algae. At that point you have to wait for the filter to clear the pool. If you want to speed it up your only real option is to "floc, drop, and vacuum to waste" which means add a floculant, let the pool sit overnight so everything drops to the bottom, and then VERY CAREFULLY vacuum the dead algae to waste. This will clear you pool more quickly BUT it's a lot more work and unless you really need the pool quickly is often not worth the trouble.
As far as how much to backwash, keep an eye on your pressure gauge and when you get about an 8-10 psi increase then backwash.

ssmith1627 said:
Thanks guys. I really am trying to be patient. But this is like day 10. Whew.
ssmith1627 said:
Friday night I changed how I was handling the chlorine -- before I was getting it to shock level each time it would drift down. Now I'm trying to keep it above shock level so when it drifts down it never gets below shock level.

consider it day 2 since you were not really doing it right before.

waterbear said:
ssmith1627 said:
Thanks guys. I really am trying to be patient. But this is like day 10. Whew.
ssmith1627 said:
Friday night I changed how I was handling the chlorine -- before I was getting it to shock level each time it would drift down. Now I'm trying to keep it above shock level so when it drifts down it never gets below shock level.

consider it day 2 since you were not really doing it right before.

Exactly.... :wink:

You should brush the entire pool once a day while at shock level. Be particularly through in areas that might have bad circulation, around steps/ladders etc. Brushing helps expose the algae to the high chlorine levels and can help speed the process up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.