Appropriate thickness for pour in place concrete coping

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Everyone,

The soil movement was significant and our pool deck was in a horrible state.
Thus, we are redoing everything for our remodel (new plumbing, electrical, plaster, coping, & pool deck).
We are ready to form for the pour in place concrete coping.
Our PB says 2.5" in thickness is good. Some folks are suggesting 3" in height.

I understand if we go taller, we will need to bring more gravel/dirt to compact and match the taller coping when building the pool deck in the later stage.
From an engineering perspective, will half inch make a difference and yield a strong build pool?

We also understand we have to leave a expansion joint surround the coping and pool deck.
Should we also cut expansion joints on the coping, thus creating sections of coping bands, too?
If this means anything, the old coping was in good. They were the old red brick bands.

Thank you for your advices!!

KC

For your coping, your PB can do a "stepped" pour. Meaning 2-1/2" at the pool edge, and thicker where it will meet your deck.

I would suggest a minimum of 3-1/2" at the deck edge, to give you a stronger, longer lasting coping/deck.

Yes, at the thicknesses you are talking about, the thickness will make a difference. Do insist that he uses rebar for your deck, while he could use the 6" mesh for the coping.

Hi Charlie,

Yes, for sure rebar for the deck. Don't want to screw that up.

A quick update:

We decided to do a bull nose edge on the coping.
I am told the standard molding will yield a 3.5" pour.
We hope this will result in a good and sound build.

We will leave an expansion joint behind the coping, where deck and coping meets.
But If I may seek you opinion again, thumbs up or down for the joints on the coping itself?

Thank you!

KC

aceropen said:
Hi Charlie,

Yes, for sure rebar for the deck. Don't want to screw that up.

A quick update:

We decided to do a bull nose edge on the coping.
I am told the standard molding will yield a 3.5" pour.
We hope this will result in a good and sound build.

We will leave an expansion joint behind the coping, where deck and coping meets.
But If I may seek you opinion again, thumbs up or down for the joints on the coping itself?

Thank you!

KC

fksbi0.jpg

Our pour in place coping is roughly 4" thick at the pool edge. I think it gives a nice bold modern look, that just feels substantial (beefy.. lol). If you don't add joints in the coping, it will crack and look real bad since their will be no way to the control the cracks. We already have some cracking in some of the joints, but they aren't noticeable, since the control joints are deep.

Hi, K95S,

Love the look of your coping! We also wanted to create the almost seamless look from coping to deck in your photo. But was worried that the joints between coping sections will take that one piece look away.

Having heard what you said, I should defer to sound engineering than cosmetic concern and cut those joints in place. God willing, I hope not to spend this type of money for a long, long time.

Now if I can only get my dog to fetch in the pool as you have shown in the photo... LoL!

Thank you and have a great weekend!

KC

Charlie_R said:
Re: the dog fetching -- get a golden or chocolate!

I've finally trained mine to NOT try to get in the pool when the cover is on!

Funny you say that... my 100 pound Yellow Lab hates water... He runs from the hose (unless he's thirsty) and will just run around the pool when he gets excited. The only thing that will get him in the water is throwing that red dog toy. It has worked at the beach and now in our pool... but.. without the toy, he will never get in on his own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.