Question for you wetsuit owners

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I'm seeing some great end of season sales, so I'm looking into buying a wetsuit. Any opinions on long sleeve vs just getting a shorty? I've done a few triathlons and will do more in the future, plus I'd use it in our pool early/late in the season, and my parents have a house on a lake, so I'd probably waterski early/late in the season.

I'm just not sure what the pros/cons are to getting a full suit vs a shorty.

We suits are a lot like winter jackets, and you have 2 basic factors, thickness and coverage. Short sleeve, short leg wetsuits are good for active sports as they don't tend to restrict range of motion, can keep your core warm, and activity keep the arms and legs warm, thickness then determines how warm your core stays. Higher coverage wet suits are better for more sedate activity where you don't want your extremities getting cold, and of course the thicker the wetsuit is the more restrictive it will be on motion.

Ike

bumpy1 said:
I'm a big fan of the spring suit. 2mm, short sleeve, long legs, with back zipper. Carries me from mid-Spring to mid-Fall.

Agreed or a 2/3 mm (as in between 2 and 3) true shorty - short sleeves and legs. It really all depends on the water temp and how much movement you want. I use a 2/3 shorty for diving because I like the mobility and it keeps your core warm.

As mentioned if you want warmer, more thickness. You can get down right hot in a wet suit depending on what you are doing and what the water temp is.

Smykowski said:
I'm seeing some great end of season sales, so I'm looking into buying a wetsuit.
I was thinking the same thing. Where have you seen the sales? Local store or online?

I used to do a lot of scuba diving back in the day, but I haven't gone in years. Even in the summer, local lake and ocean water is cold so I own a 1/4" full wetsuit, with hood, booties, and gloves. Unfortunately I'm a little heavier than I was back in the day and I tried to squeeze into my wetsuit today and it just wasn't happening. So now I'm thinking I will should get a new one that fits.

I did much the same thing a few years ago when I could no longer fit into my 1/4 inch wetsuit, after all it is important to be able to dress for all occasions, wet suit, tuxedo, haz-mat suit with SCBA air supply,...

Isaac-1 said:
it is important to be able to dress for all occasions, wet suit, tuxedo, ...
Ha ha my tuxedo doesn't fit anymore either, but my son was able to wear it to his prom. What I really should do is lose that extra 15-20 lbs. so my wetsuit and tux fit again, but that's a lot of work and it's easier to just buy new ones!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.