And Away We Go! New build Austin TX UPDATED 10/31 FINISHED!

May 22, 2013
Austin, TX
It has been a long journey of interviewing pool builders, learning, and more learning. We started the process in April and interviewed 7 PBs. In the process, I think we really figured out what we wanted and are really excited and looking forward to the final product!

Here are specs and (lots of) pics.

34x17 Freeform IGP w/ 18" raised spa and spillover, 7 foot max depth
18" staggered to 12" Raised Bond Beam with (2) 24" Sheers
2 bubblers on Tanning Ledge
Quartz Plaster (Color and brand TBD, but probably CLI or Quartzscape in a Caribbean color)
-Adding Abalone
Leuders Stone Coping
Travertine Paver Pool Deck with Leuders Stone trim

Hayward pump and automation (still debating between 2 speed TriStar and VS EcoStar as well as ECommand 4 and Aqua Logic)
Hayward 400k Heater
Hayward filter (still undecided between DE and cartridge)
Inline Chlorinator (probably retrofit w/ Stenner eventually)
Booster Pump for sheers and bubblers

Overall my PB is moving REALLY quickly (although permits took over a month which felt like forever). But now that we are in the construction pipe, it's zooming.

Monday at noon - sprayed the pool design
Monday at 4 pm - excavator showed up and started digging
Tuesday - completed the Dig!
Wednesday morning - Rebar delivered
Wednesday at 4 pm - Rebar crew showed up - about 75% complete by 7:30pm!

Here's the design:

i-PHVnTK2-X2.png

Day One:

i-fdQ8W7c-M.jpg

i-BZXVPKL-M.jpg

i-q4PWfQJ-M.jpg

i-XxtbBKR-M.jpg

i-ndPgsqg-M.jpg

I'm really surprised we didn't hit rock yet! Central Texas is known for being a solid bed of Limestone...

i-DdqzjqP-M.jpg

Day Two - Started the day with the jackhammer. :party: I knew there'd be rock down there!

i-x3L94R6-M.jpg

i-9D3qQtb-M.jpg

i-nbhShm5-M.jpg

i-zb7pZdC-M.jpg

Day Two is done and so is the digging! Amazing!

i-8rTnWMR-M.jpg

Explorer Kitty - aka Sophie

i-RZDqmGT-M.jpg

i-WmDbP4k-M.jpg

Day Three (today) - Rebar delivered and install started. They were about 75% done when they left for the day.

i-wtt9sLn-M.jpg

Re: And Away We Go! -- New build Austin, TX -- Pics

Looks like a nice design.

zach5150 said:
...(although permits took over a month which felt like forever).
Not at all surprising, unfortunately. Also wouldn't surprise me if the pool build is done in less time than it took to get your permit.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

The rebar is finished and plumbing started today. If all goes well w/ plumbing and inspection, gunite will be next week! If anybody notices anything that doesn't look right or that I should ask about - please let me know!

I still can't believe today was Thursday and the shovel hit the ground this past Monday!

i-gjzGf8x-L.jpg

i-6556KTz-L.jpg

i-9qHjDkv-L.jpg

i-crS9SVK-L.jpg

i-6nscCGJ-L.jpg

zach5150 said:
If anybody notices anything that doesn't look right or that I should ask about - please let me know!
So far, everything appears to be going well. The only pipes I see going under the pool are for the main drain (as it should be). Just make sure no other plumbing is installed below the pool shell unless there is an absolute need for it. Nice pics of the plumbing. Years from now, after the pipes have been buried, you will have some idea of where they are located.

Zach - Congrats on getting it started! It looks like a very good start. You know how to get in touch with me, so ping me if you have any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Zach- I'm especially excited to see the progress since I'm in Austin too. We're you able to negotiate with your builder much? That part makes me nervous. The bids we got were so different but we know that there's a difference in quality too.

shmatbert said:
Zach- I'm especially excited to see the progress since I'm in Austin too. We're you able to negotiate with your builder much? That part makes me nervous. The bids we got were so different but we know that there's a difference in quality too.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know tons of folks helped me through the stage you are in now, so I guess now its my turn! The PB we ended up going with told me up front 'I'll beat everyones price, I dont negotiate, I'm low pressure' - and he definitely was true to his word. Though he doesn't negotiate, I will say he doesn't nickel and dime you either like many other PBs will. I've found lots of PB's will charge a few hundred bucks for simple plumbing things like bubblers and thats where our guy is ultra reasonable. They all have pros and cons. We interviewed 7 PB's before we made our choice. Some will negotiate but it's like buying a car - you have to show you are interested and a capable buyer, but are willing to walk away if you dont come to terms. Usually, that'll prompt some negotiation. Also, as things slow down for them in the fall and consequently things slow down for the subcontractors, they'll be looking for work which should be better pricing.

markadamarnold said:
I love the shape of this pool...it's going to be great! What does the Leuders stone look like that you are using? I love the look of the paver deck too...

Thank you! I can't believe we are shooting gunite on Friday! I'll try to get a pic of the leuder tonight and post.

zach5150 said:
markadamarnold said:
I love the shape of this pool...it's going to be great! What does the Leuders stone look like that you are using? I love the look of the paver deck too...

Thank you! I can't believe we are shooting gunite on Friday! I'll try to get a pic of the leuder tonight and post.

I'm really sorry I didn't get this posted until now. Things have been crazy, but hopefully this will help you. Apparently there is a bit of a shortage of this type of leuder right now, but anyway, here are a few pics - dry and wet next to a travertine paver (color of travertine is aski kalle).

i-Qh6G9Nk-L.jpg

i-dbvkfSh-L.jpg

i-WX5hQpk-L.jpg

Well we were going to shoot gunite last Friday, but equipment problems w/ the gunite sub shut that down. However, they showed up bright and early this morning and we now have a pool shell!

i-bBj5qMg-L.jpg

i-kRzC8qV-L.jpg

i-jMZhBL3-L.jpg

i-v7crGDk-L.jpg

i-MfSHH6s-L.jpg

i-S2VK3H3-L.jpg

i-NXmP4x2-L.jpg

i-gJB9WXm-L.jpg

cbink said:
Looking good so far!
Are they shooting the raised beam on the back wall separately?

Thanks! Regarding the RBB, it was originally going to be shot w/ gunite so that we could finish it w/ a veneer stone, but we've since decided we will likely do chopped block/standard masonry type of wall. It's kind of up in the air right now honestly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.