Hayward inground pump and filter with Intex AB Pool?

Aug 12, 2013
AZ
Hello everybody. I have been a lurker on this site sometime and have got a lot of valuable info from this forum so I would like to start by saying thanks.

I have an 18x9 intex above ground pool which holds approximately 4400 gallons. Due to our location I get a lot of sand and dirt in my pool due to the desert climate and wind. I keep the pool covered as much as possible to avoid this problem. As I have read the pump and filter that come with this pool leaves a lot to be desired. What I did to solve this problem was build an external vacuum from an old in ground pump and filter. I will post a picture of the vacuum setup when I get home. It has worked great so far, but is heavy and bulky. It is built from a Hayward MaxFlo 1hp pump and a Hayward Star Clear Plus cartridge filter. I am thinking about plumbing in this pump/filter into my pool and discarding the intex pump/filter that came with the pool to increase the suction so I can run my vacuum without the need for a separate pump/filter.

My question: Is there any disadvantage of having a pump/filter this large on a pool my size?

Many of our members have upgraded from the standard intex pump/filter combo to 1hp pumps for above ground pools and larger filters. While an ideal pump for a pool around 4400 gallons would be 1/2 hp, there is nothing wrong using a 1hp pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.