Vacuuming Algae to waste

Aug 14, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but I decided to join for a simple question which is really bothering me. I had an algae bloom just last weekend since I was gone for a while and came back to find the pool green. I fixed it all an now all I have left is the dead algae at the bottom. I tried vacuuming but I guess that cartridge filter doesn't filter it because the water coming from the return jet became green after a few minutes. I bought a backwash/discharge pipe today but sadly I don't know how to use it. It came rolled up and when fully extended its about 50' but it's flat and I don't know how to inflate it. Could someone please direct me into how inflate it so I could use it. Also it came with a little clamp which I'm guessing is used to hold it to the waste valve of my filter.

Johnny_M92 said:
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but I decided to join for a simple question which is really bothering me. I had an algae bloom just last weekend since I was gone for a while and came back to find the pool green. I fixed it all an now all I have left is the dead algae at the bottom. I tried vacuuming but I guess that cartridge filter doesn't filter it because the water coming from the return jet became green after a few minutes. I bought a backwash/discharge pipe today but sadly I don't know how to use it. It came rolled up and when fully extended its about 50' but it's flat and I don't know how to inflate it. Could someone please direct me into how inflate it so I could use it. Also it came with a little clamp which I'm guessing is used to hold it to the waste valve of my filter.

If it is what I think it is you put it around the waste pipe and use the clamp to hold it in place. Running water to waste will inflate it.

It looks like a flexible plastic flat hose and it came with a hose clamp right?

Alright well here's the picture, it looks more like a tape than a hose to me :L Anyway some extra info is that this is the hth Backwash Pool Hose 50' that comes with a clamp pictured next to it.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 115
So how do I wrap it around the waste port if I can't seem to get it open because I haven't found an opening yet. I unrolled it all the way earlier but it was stuck to the white thing with tape so I thought it was important and just decided to roll it back up. Is the opening on the taped area at the end of this "hose"?

The hose, when unrolled, should open up to a hose. It's not thick walled. Take the hose end, place the hose clamp about a foot up the hose, open up the hose end, slide it over your waste fitting, tighten up the hose clamp over the fitting and crack open the valve to let some water in. I would use that bubble of water to open the rest of the hose before applying too much pressure to the hose. Its designed to let water flow flow, not for high pressures.

Use a couple pieces of tape to pull the two sides of the hose apart.

Since you say you have a cartridge filter I am guessing you do not have a waste port? If your line isn't hard plumbed then disconnect your return hose from your filter (assuming you can close the return at the pool) and slip this waste hose over the return port on the filter. Use the hose clamp to hold the hose on and unroll it to where you want the water to drain.

If you are hard plumbed and do not have a waste port then there are additional steps you have to take.

Both ends should be open. You could cut the hose of the manufacturing process sealed the end. Just cut off a quarter inch or so. It is just a 50 foot long tube of vinyl like a really long trash bag, squished flat into a ribbon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just opened it thnx guys, there was a little opening on the taped end and with the help of my sis and her nails managed to get it open :) hopefully I should be able to vacuum out all te algae as well as lower the cya since its a little high right now

Oh btw I have a waste port all I have to do is plug up return jet and the water will have nowhere else to go but the waste port, we tried it earlier without the pipe but it flooded and almost broke the pump which stopped by itself since our circuit breaker automatically shut it off when it got flooded

Hello. So I am no expert here but what I do know is that blue thing is called a backwash hose, I have one hooked up to my sand filter and when I backwash all the waste water goes out it and I have it to where it waters some plants and a grass area. I also know that my sister has a cartridge filter and she does not have a backwash valve which from what we understand is how it is for cartridge filters. What we have had to do and now she does this every few months is open up the filter and take out the cartridge and hose it down and clean it off. Put it back in and it will then be able to filter properly for you. Also hers were so bad when she bought her house that she had to buy replacement cartridges for the filter. Maybe you need new cartridges. She buys new ones like every 2 years. The cheapest place we have found them is online. If you need to know how to break your filter down you can get the owners manual from the manufacturers website. Also we found some helpful videos on youtube that helped us out. Just search for how to clean a Xxxxxxx type of filter. Xxxxx meaning put in your brand and model of filter. We learn a lot on youtube videos. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.