New pool fill

You can start adding the CYA anytime you can support the CYA away from the liner. I would add a little chlorine but wait until you get a reasonable about so you don't damage the liner. The other stuff can wait until you are full.

Well you know you will need stabilizer and chlorine. You will not really know what the pH will be until the pool is full to know if it or the TA need adjusting.

So you could try to come up with a way to let the CYA start to dissolve in the water, but you have to ensure it does not sit on the vinyl or it could be faded.

Ok. Only water movement is from the hose. Been reading other posts. Looks like i can add chlorine and mix with a brush?
How long should I mix?

What's a safe way to add cya? Water is about 10-12" deep in the shallow end.

:twisted:
MBG75 said:
Ok. Only water movement is from the hose. Been reading other posts. Looks like i can add chlorine and mix with a brush?
How long should I mix?

What are you using for chlorine? If it is liquid you can pour it right in front of the hose so the current mixes it. Pour slowly, say a pencil sized stream. Liquid CYA can be added the same way. Don't over do the CYA. It won't show up immediately on your test so don't add too much at first.

You don't want granular CYA or Chlorine to sit on your liner. You can premix in a bucket until it dissolves and pour slowly into the deep end. Brush if it isn't all dissolved. I have read where people put it in some sort of "sock" and hung it in the water away from the edges.

If I were you I would wait and see what the pro's say about the granular CYA. I'm trying to lower mine not raise it.

techguy said:
You can start adding the CYA anytime you can support the CYA away from the liner. I would add a little chlorine but wait until you get a reasonable about so you don't damage the liner. The other stuff can wait until you are full.

Same answer... you need some chlorine. If you used a brush after pouring it in front of the hose, that would work.

If you placed the CYA in a sock, tied it to the pole of your broom/vacuum and then placed it so your hose flows thru the sock, that would work.

DorsalSpine said:
:twisted:
MBG75 said:
How long should I mix?

What are you using for chlorine? If it is liquid you can pour it right in front of the hose so the current mixes it. Pour slowly, say a pencil sized stream. Liquid CYA can be added the same way. Don't over do the CYA. It won't show up immediately on your test so don't add too much at first.

You don't want granular CYA or Chlorine to sit on your liner. You can premix in a bucket until it dissolves and pour slowly into the deep end. Brush if it isn't all dissolved. I have read where people put it in some sort of "sock" and hung it in the water away from the edges.

If I were you I would wait and see what the pro's say about the granular CYA. I'm trying to lower mine not raise it.

Was just going to ask about using liquid stabilizer.
Pool has a SWG, but until it is online, I was planning on just using bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could use liquid stabilizer but it is much more expensive for the same stuff as you are making with solid and water.

As for the SWG, treat it as a chlorine only pool until you get fully balanced initially, then move your CYA and then balance again with the SWG and LC untill you get enough SWG output and you are balanced again.

My new IG pool will be filled next week. I was thinking of not adding CYA but letting it accumulate by using the 3" puck chlorinator - will that take too long to build up the CYA level to the target range?

You can find out how much each puck will add at the bottom of the pool calc. Effects of adding chem's. Just stop using them when you get to your target level if that's your plan, which I hope it is !

They'll add it as fast as they dissolve.

calc.html

Lil update. Pool is crystal clear.

Fc-7.5
Ph-7.6
Ta-80
Ch-80
Cya-20

Slammed the pool once it was full. Didn't show any loss on the oclt last night. Gonna recheck tonight/tomorrow.

I have cya in socks by a return. It's been 2 days and about half still in a sock. Kneading it 4-5 times daily. It it normal to take so long to dissolve?
Trying to get ready to start the SWG

It'll take awhile to dissolve, but when I'm not running the pump I just throw the CYA still in the sock inside a floater (and squeeze it every once in while, like mentioned above). Though I really like the previously mentioned idea about somehow suspending the sock and allowing the fill water to run over it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.