Fine debris/dirt in returns on switching pump to Hi-Speed

Apr 22, 2013
So every time I toggle my two-speed pump from low to high. I get a 20 second dark stream of fine debris from all the pool returns.

After backwashing the filter the stream is less dark but still there. I strangely do not seem to get this problem when the pump is switched on with the high speed toggled.

My Hayward Sandfilter is pretty old, is it possible that the sand needs to be repacked or replaced? or could there be some other problem.

In general, I do feel like my pool needs to be vacuumed more often and while I have no leak, I seem to be slowly losing cyanuric acid levels

thanks

Re: Fine debris/dirt in returns on switching pump to Hi-Spee

Thanks for your reply and the link, Jason.

I moved in here 3 months ago. No idea when it was last done. How often, typically, does this need to be done.

Inspecting/cleaning the sand should be a yearly thing.

And you should be backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Thanks. Jason. I was wondering at what point would I change the sand in the filter instead of just washing it. I cannot imagine what could happen to the sand to need it being changed. Does it get eroded away and become too fine?

Wow! thats good to know. There are no youtube videos on how to clean. But many on "how to replace". But I could never find a compelling logical explanation on why sand would need to be replaced. Cleaning it is. For anyone else reading this. I found these videos very helpful to understand my sand filter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_J5KgIqhD4

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.