New to my pool and came home to algae

mrsktw

Aug 14, 2013
We just bought a home with an older pool and want to care for it ourselves but the first month has been full of frustrations. Thought we finally had it figured out and then came home after the weekend to a green pool. Ran a test and no chlorine even though we had floaters in. Pool place sells me 5 bags of shock and nothing happens. We have been going back and forth to pool co since we purchased our home and I feel we're not getting anywhere so I started doing some research and found this site. Our CYA has always read 100 on the pool store printout but they have never told us to do anything about. Guessing this is why our chlorine was not doing its job. Yesterday we emptied 30-45% and refilled. I went and bought the cheaper Walmart test with cya until I get other one ordered. Now it shows our CYA at 60. Based on chlorine/cya chart I want to raise to 24FC to shock so I emptied 7 bottles of bleach into the pool 3 hrs ago. I don't have a test to measure what my FC is now. What is suggested I do next? And is 24FC high enough for the algae? I saw another chart that said 34FC. I really prefer not going back to the pool store for another reading but that may be my only option.

Order the tf-100 kit! It's worth it and you can't really trust the pool store results plus you're gonna need to SLAM. While you're doing that you have to test really often at first so you'll need your own kit. :)

I'm sure an expert will be here soon to help!

Welcome to TFP.

You're in the right place now! :wave:

Given a CYA of 60 ppm, the SLAM level is 24 as you found. You need to order a good kit as soon as you can and then you'll be able to take control of your pool.

In the mean time, I suggest that you take a pool sample and mix it half and half with chlorine free water and then run the chlorine test. Double the result by 2 and every time it gets to he top of the test add enough chlorine to get back to 24 ppm. That's not a proper way to do it, but it'll keep it from getting worse until your TF-100 gets there.

You can order the TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.net in NC if you're in the eastern part of the US or from http://www.poolsupplyworld.com if you're in the western part.

P.S. It won't help to go back to the pool store because they can't measure FC high enough either.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

mrsktw said:
Our CYA has always read 100 on the pool store printout but they have never told us to do anything about. Guessing this is why our chlorine was not doing its job.
Yes, this is correct.

mrsktw said:
And is 24FC high enough for the algae? I saw another chart that said 34FC.
Yes, 24 ppm is what the Chlorine / CYA Chart recommends. The 34 ppm figure you saw is probably for Mustard Algae (yellowish).

mrsktw said:
I really prefer not going back to the pool store for another reading but that may be my only option.
Your best option is to order a good test kit from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html ASAP. Going back to the pool store would perpetuate what got your pool in this condition in the first place.

mrsktw said:
I don't have a test to measure what my FC is now. What is suggested I do next?
Do what Bama just suggested.

Thanks! I did the tests the way Bama suggested. Really questioning if it has even gone down but i think it was at around 20FC so i added another 121oz jug. Also, the bleach bottle says 8.25% but yields 7.85%. Which percentage should I be entering in the pool calculator? And how many times a day should I be retesting?

As for the difference between the 7.85 and the 8.25, that has to to do with volume vs weight, IIRC. This is what we call 8.25%.

Re-test as often as needed. When you are starting, this can be as frequent as every hour. If you are doing it every hour, you can use a 5 ml water sample and each drop is 1 ppm FC, use a flat scoop of the powder. Once you start seeing your FC last most than an hour or two, you can change the frequency to three times a day or even twice a day, morning & evening and move back to the 10ml sample and 0.5 FC/drop. Daytime is when the algae grows, night time is when your algae killing efforts are more effective.

Pool is now a murky blue so we are making good progress. I'm not getting completely accurate numbers as I just ordered the correct tester but the last few test results have not shown a drop in FC. Seems to be sitting at 25-30FC for the last 8hrs. Should I go ahead and add more chlorine tonight anyway? I will check first thing in the morning for any drops. Also curious, once we are done slamming how long does it take to reach normal levels you can swim in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning my FC was down to 15 so added more bleach to bring back up to 24. I'm just not understanding how we could be gone for two days and come home to a completely green pool. Why does it take so long to get back to good? The family is not happy with me right now! :/ Another question...do we have the wrong size filter? When we moved in the pool guy that had been caring for it said he would change it out if he were us because its too small. My husbands been cleaning it almost twice a week.

My backyard smells like an over-sanitized laundry room and Im pretty sure the trees and bushes around the pool and gasping for fresh air. Ive gone through 24 gallons of bleach and Im worried I might be using too much. I've seen a slight change in clarity today but we also got some rain so it might have slowed me down. My husband and friends are doubting this process but Im going to stick it out. Can someone please tell me if the filter is an issue. It says its 100sq ft. Is that big enough for our pool? Also, we have been relying on the Polaris to vacuum but do we need to go buy an actual vacuum to clear up the bottom? Need some help and encouragement...

1. Your pool was underchlorinated much more than the two days you went away....you just weren't aware of it

2. Disregard the size of your filter for now....even if you have to clean it daily. You can address that when you get your pool clear.

3. Rain is irrelevant

4. You desperately need a manual vacuum

5. You desperately need a test kit that will allow you to perform and complete the SLAM correctly

6. 24 gallons of bleach is not a lot. Some folks have required over 100 gallons.

7. Since you are apparently surrounded by naysayers, your job has been made more difficult. Are they proposing alternatives? The process has been completed successfully by thousands and thousands of pool owners over the last 9-10 years....your pool is no different and the process will work if you dedicate yourself to it.

8. I can assure you your trees are not gasping for fresh air.

I suggest...

A. Read Pool School again. Your posts indicate not enough knowledge (yet) of pool water chemistry and is adding to your doubt.

B. Post a complete set of test results so we can "see" the condition of your water and advise from there. A pic would be helpful, too. You'll get a lot more precise help when you give us complete results form your testing.

There are a couple of things going against you right now. The filter is much better at filtering out fine particles than the Polaris is. If you had a manual vacuum then all the debris would go into the filter and be trapped which would help clear the pool quicker.

That filter is a little small for that pool, but once the pool is clear, it will be fine. It's just a bit of a pain right now because it's having a big load of debris to try and clear.

Once you get the good test kit, you'll have much better numbers to go by.

mrsktw said:
My backyard smells like an over-sanitized laundry room and Im pretty sure the trees and bushes around the pool and gasping for fresh air. Ive gone through 24 gallons of bleach and Im worried I might be using too much. I've seen a slight change in clarity today but we also got some rain so it might have slowed me down. My husband and friends are doubting this process but Im going to stick it out. Can someone please tell me if the filter is an issue. It says its 100sq ft. Is that big enough for our pool? Also, we have been relying on the Polaris to vacuum but do we need to go buy an actual vacuum to clear up the bottom? Need some help and encouragement...

You have come to the right place. Many of us found this site for just the reasons you did. I know I'm one of them. I've only been reading here for a couple of months. My pool has never been better. I've gotten nothing but good advice from this site.

Is that enough encouragement?

Seriously, if you have time read some of the other threads on green pools. The process works. It really starts to click when you see the test results posted and begin to understand why the recommendations were made.

It was an empowering feeling when I began to understand the chemistry and take control of my pool rather than blindly following pool store advice.

My readings before drain on 8/13 from the pool store were
FC-2
TC-2
CH-320
CYA-100
TA-110
Ph-7.2
TDS-1500
Pho-1000

After partial drain (Drained 8000 gal) readings on 8/14 were
FC-.5
CC-.5
Ph-7.2
TA-150
CYA-60

Started SLAM that morning and I have not seen it go below 15-20FC. Praying my test comes on the mail today! I have been adding an ounce of pool water to 9oz of bottled water to test and multiplying by 10. I couldn't do the 1 part pool water to 1 part bottled because then I can still only read up to 10FC and I need to be at 24.

Last night I was at 15FC at 6pm and this morning I was back at 15FC. My midday check is usually still at 25 but it seems to drop in late afternoon and then thought the night.

I have become obsessed and have poured myself through these forums for the last three days and am fully committed to see this through despite my naysayers and the amount of bleach jugs sitting on my deck. On my way to the dreaded pool store to buy a vacuum this morning! :)

I don't know how prices will compare but my vacuum head is from lowes (blue triangle shaped) my hose and pole are from Walmart and many years old... just a suggestion if you want to avoid the pool store. :) I'm sure they probably have "cooler" stuff though.

Yay! My test kit came today! Thanks for the super quick delivery TFTestkits! :whoot: I added chlorine at 8:30am and just did my test at 3:30pm. My results were:
FC - 33
CC - 0
CH - 0? (Sample never turned red when I added the hardness indicator)
Ph - 7.5
CYA - 60
TA - 0? (I did this twice with two different test kits and the green never changed to red, only clear) Yesterday it was 160

So, I may have been over-chlorinating a little but don't think it will do any harm. I vacuumed and then cleaned the basket and filter but didnt see anything significant. Just a small handful of acorns. The filter didn't seem to be very dirty either. We don't know how old the cartridge is so we ordered a new one. Should we replace now or wait until the SLAM is over? Do you know why my CH test and TA test didn't work?

[attachment=2:2vb1kr82]pool drain.jpg[/attachment:2vb1kr82][attachment=1:2vb1kr82]pool 8-15.jpg[/attachment:2vb1kr82][attachment=0:2vb1kr82]pool 8-17.jpg[/attachment:2vb1kr82]

Attachments

• pool drain.jpg
    pool drain.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 130
  • pool 8-15.jpg
    pool 8-15.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 130
  • pool 8-17.jpg
    pool 8-17.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 130
In Pool School under Misc is Further Reading. In that are expanded testing instructions. I'd link to it for you if I knew how. Anyway, they explain what to do when a test fails.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.