Making the switch! My first results

miker

Aug 14, 2013
Southern California
OK, I've been stumbling along wasting money at the big name pool stores for the last 2 years and learned here that there's a much better way to to do this! I've been using pretty much only pucks loaded in the floater and have realized I've been doing this wrong (evident by my high cya!). Here are my first test results with the K-2006.

PH 7.2
FC .5
CC .5
TA 110
TH 550
CYA 100+

I've brought the chlorine up to 3.0 with liquid. By checking the CYA with strips, it's likely my CYA is 150-200 and I realize the solution is to drain. Our kids use the pool daily. Must I drain now or does it matter if I wait a few months when the temperatures and usage drops?

Thanks for all of your help!

Wellllllllllll............you're most likely to develop an algae bloom/problems while the heat is "hot" and the sun is burning off an already too low a level of FC for your cya level. You can do a third drain at a time to help. Welcome! Get your FC up!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

The Strips are worthless. If you want a better idea of the CYA level. Start with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water, then add the reagent and test, doubling the reading.

Draining is the only real solution. If you do not want to drain, you need to keep the FC much much higher. For example if the CYA was 100, the minimum safe FC level is 7ppm. If it is up around 200ppm, then you need to maintain a FC level of 14ppm. See the chart in Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

BTW, once the FC > 10ppm, the pH test is not longer valid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.