25-30 teens coming! How to prepare????

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
Okay. I'm still new to this pool stuff. I'm using BBB and have been keeping the FC around 5-6ppm. My son is having 25-30 friends over Friday night for a cookout and swim party. Do I need to do anything special before having that many people in the pool? I keep a solar cover on other than when I am in it. I don't seem to use much bleach currently. The pool hasn't been getting much use other than by me. In fact this will be the first time my son has even been in the pool. :roll: I think the fact that girls will be here too is the only reason he'll be getting in it. :wink:

Just want to make sure that everyone is safe. Any recommendations before and after this party?

Raise the FC up. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, but you likely do not need that much. Maybe 10ppm. Then check it after everyone leaves and maybe bump it a little again.

And try to stop the girls from creating an oil slick with tanning oils ;)

I'd raise the FC to the top of the recommended range for your CYA right before the party and again right after. You also want to make sure the pH is in the low 7's. a lot of splashing is going to raise it a little.

If you'll post a full set of test results we may see something else, but without test results that's all I have to offer. :)

jblizzle said:
It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA
And try to stop the girls from creating an oil slick with tanning oils ;)
Personally I would take (shock level)-1 and target that, I'm assuming you're talking about an afternoon + evening party.

LOL on preventing oil slicks, a friend of ours made an oil slick, it was at 5:30PM! Not only did he feel the need to wear it (sunblock), but he doesn't know when to quit applying. First time I had ever seen someone make a trail.

I conquer with all the replies. Good job on planning for the extra FC demand. I can attest to the water quality effects of not preparing :mrgreen:
We had about 40 teens swimming at the after-party.
_DSC2312_WebOrig_edited-1_zps7e5fd316.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No booze in the house ever. lol So that isn't a problem. :D Maybe that many teens will be enough to make us start???? :cheers:

Just took my readings.
FC 4 Going to add 121 oz bottle of 8.25% bleach yet today.
CC 0
PH 7.6 Thinking I will see what it is when they leave then add muriatic acid the next morning if need be.
TA 250
CYA 50

It will be interesting to see what the readings are the next morning.

brmommy said:
No booze in the house ever. lol So that isn't a problem. :D Maybe that many teens will be enough to make us start???? :cheers:

Then I guess you need a big pitcher of iced tea! If you are going to adjust your pH, if you did it before the party it will make your CL a little more effective.

30 people in 17,600 gallons would use about 1.8 ppm FC per hour. So unless you anticipate them urinating, I don't think you need to go so extreme as to near shock level. If you went to around 15% of your CYA level so if that's 50 ppm then 7.5 ppm, then that should handle 2 hours of 30 people in the pool. If you think they will be in longer or will be abusing your pool, then perhaps 10 ppm, but I think that 20 ppm would be excessive. It's not dangerous, but the chlorine may well be more noticeable.

We had 8 women in our 16,000 gallon pool this past weekend for a couple of hours (it was a woman's gathering so I was banished from the home during that time) and I noticed more than the expected 1 ppm FC chlorine drop (though not an extraordinary amount). I inquired about possible urinating, but only got the kind of look from my wife that translates into "you don't really expect me to answer that question, do you?" We've had this conversation before so I left it at that.

On a side note plan for 3 times as many beverages as you think you will need and at least twice as much food, teens swimming = lots of food and drinks needed. Also as soon as the party is over boost your FC to the upper part of the range again, you will be tired, but don't put this off until morning.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
On a side note plan for 3 times as many beverages as you think you will need and at least twice as much food, teens swimming = lots of food and drinks needed. Also as soon as the party is over boost your FC to the upper part of the range again, you will be tired, but don't put this off until morning.

Ike

Okay. I was thinking the next morning but I'll do it that night then. Guess it might be interesting to take the FC reading just before it starts and then as soon as they are done. Just curious, will the CC be high then?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.