Is it closing time?? (for you upper midwest folks)

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
I simply cannot believe how COOL it has been this summer here in Wisconsin. I think we've had one week in mid july where we were hitting 89-91F temps, and that only lasted about 5 days.

Otherwise, it's been beautiful, I'll admit, but with highs in the low to mid 70s and no humidity to speak of, my pool as been "cool" all summer long. I think the highest temp our pool water hit this summer is 81F. I COULD run the heater, but if I would have ran it all summer long, it would have been super expensive.

We have now been dipping down into the low 50's at night, and just wondering if anyone is THINKING about closing up already???? I know with water temps of 72F even my over eager swimmer children only go into the pool about 10-15minutes at a time. I think I've been in twice this summer.

Bummed out in Wisconsin!!!

Dan

Same here in SW PA my temp never got over 83 degrees, high 80s this time last year! disappointing for adults but the kids still used it alot... (in between rain storms!) Thats how it goes I guess. I plan on getting a heater for next season!

It's been slightly better in IL. My temp last night was 85 (solar cover has been on a lot).

I've run the heater maybe 4 times overnight when we're expecting a nice weekend.

Seems as though we got more use in 1 month last year than all season this year.

Another here in SE PA (Allentown area), and we will probably be packing it in soon. With the solar cover on we hit 88 degrees back in July when we had that week of really high temps, but now we're down to about 78 which is just a bit too cold for my bones. I think we will be investing in some sort of solar heater for next year.

We've been forever overflowing. Every time I backwash to bring the level down we get another monsoon and it's back to overflowing. It's getting to the point where I will need to add more salt, but I'm not going to put more in if we're basically done for the season. This weather has been crazy. I hope it's not indicative of the type of winter we will have!

Just to point out that you generally want to wait until the water stays below 60 degrees before you close. See the articles in Pool School about closing if you are unsure of the recommended procedure.

What a depressing thread. Our pool is shaded most of the day and sometimes is cool in the middle of the summer. Have had rain about every other day for a week and no sun for a week here. It's chilly.

I did just get my cheap solar panel from amazon hooked up last week, today's the 1st day of real sun, we'll see how it goes. Getting the big intex rectangle next year and already thinking about how well used ng pool heaters for $150 on craigslist work and what that would do to my gas bill.

Same here is WI, solar cover been on for a couple weeks.....83-85 temp average. Wimpy kids say that the air is too cold:) Guarantee if you decide to close soon that the weather will change and become hot again.....remember we live in Wisconsin....40 degrees one day....90 degrees the next. Told the kids that if you are a true "cheesehead" you should be able to swim all year round! I'm gonna wait till around labor day before take down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here in Missouri we've had a mild summer so far too. Great for working on the farm, not so much for swimming. Other than the really hot days then getting in right after working and putting my FC to the test. I know, shower before you get in but by then I really don't even want to so I vacuum while I'm in and check my levels about an hour after I get out.

DTmos01----yeah, we have a solar cover, and even with that it's only hit a hight water temp of 81. NORMALLY during WI. summer months, even without the heater, we can hit and maintain 86F, which is PERFECT for my family. I couldn't HOPE to hit that right now with the solar cover on and heater running. It just gets TOO cold at night, and during the day, like someone else said, it's complaints that the air is too chilly.

It's just been a horrible swim summer this year!!!

woke up the other morning, outside temp was 48 degrees, with solar cover on for a couple days pools was registering 84 degrees! My pool sits directly in the sun too, and luckily even though the temp is only hitting around 76 degrees the pool is still maintaining it's temp

I will get swimmers here interested down to about 72F (although in the spring I will get some brave swimmers when it is in the 60s), so as long as I can get that temp with the cover and solar panels, I religiously run them each day (if you miss a day with solar it can be something you may never recover from). Once I find I can't keep it consistently above 72 even with solar, then I stop running solar completely and reduce my pump time to a couple of hours/day, but I don't close until the pool is consistently below 55F. This also allows us to use the pool when if a particularly hot and early "Indian summer" hits. For the leaves, I have considered getting a leaf net for the times before closing but with high amounts of leaf debris...but for now I just net them out every day or two.

Not just the Midwest. It has been getting down to the low 50's overnight here in NY. My pool is small and the temperature will change +/- 5 degrees per day even with the solar cover on all the time. The pool was 75 this morning but with full sun it got up to 80 by early afternoon. My kids think it's too cold but I went in anyway. However, a few degrees warmer would be nice. Less than a month ago the water was in the high 90's. That was too hot but I didn't complain because I knew it wouldn't last.

durandetto said:
Hartland MI. I've had my solar cover on for a week now and can't get my water over 76-78°. I guess it's my fault for putting up a pool this year. That's just my kind of luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
Its been a tough year. You could try taking off the cover when there is full sun and the temp is around/above pool temp and there is little wind...that will help.

Yup, the last 3-4 weeks or so have been really sucky for the pool. Finally supposed to get some good sun so I'm hoping to roll back the cover and try to get the water temp up a wee bit. I've gone from 86 to 70. At least it was 70 the last time I looked about 2 weeks ago. It just ticks me off and that's why I haven't checked the temp lately. Hopefully the weather will turn enough so I can enjoy the pool some before I close it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.