Outdoor kitchen location opinions

cbink

Feb 4, 2013
Houston, Tx
So, we're building our pool at the moment. I don't have the spare funds this year for the outdoor kitchen that I wanted but I do aim to put it in next year. My issue is that I'm unsure where to put it and need to make a decision now so I can get water/gas run to it and get a drain put in as I'm getting a lot of decking put in and I don't want to destroy it in a years time.

Here is a plan view of the pool and deck:

Here is a photo of the future potential locations:

Location 1 was where I had originally planned to put in a kitchen before we'd planned out the pool. If I put it here I have to run the drain, plumbing and gas now. The advantage is that it's under a covered patio which is my preference. The disadvantage is that it will block of the pool from being accessed from this section of the patio forcing all foot traffic between the spa and the patio column which is fairly narrow (just under 5 ft). My BIL is in a wheelchair so I'd like to not restrict access for him if at all possible. This location has about 14 linear feet of space available

Location 3 is where the pool builder thinks I should put it. The biggest advantage of putting it here is the only thing I'd need to do now is put a drain in. I can easily route gas/water to this location afterwards. It's out the way and doesn't interrupt any view but it's not covered at present and allows no real opportunity for a bar on the other side for socializing as it's up against a brick wall. This location has 15+ linear feet available.

Location 2 is a compromise. It's covered and we'd have to split the outdoor kitchen into two sections to form an L between the columns there. It will block a small portion of the pool view from the kitchen but otherwise leaves the pool view uninterrupted from the house. It also will back up to where we're planning to put our outdoor dining table. This location has 8 linear feet and 4 linear feet available between the columns.

I'm not wanting to go overboard on the kitchen. I would like a decent grill, a sink and a fridge and enough counter space to set food down on. Location 3 would mean I would have to get a full outdoor rated fridge I think. Locations 1 & 2 are fairly well protected. I figure that 10 linear feet is sufficient for what I want (plus I have a budget in mind for this and would really like to stick to this one unlike the pool!)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on practicality. I'm leaning towards location 2

From what I see I would go with location 2 also, since it is sheltered from the rain, there is nothing like having a sudden shower to put a damper on outdoor cooking. I would say probably put the sink in the shorter part of the L and the main cook surface on the straight part. If the kitchen is just inside do you really need a fridge there, perhaps a free standing ice chest, and ice machine somewhere would work better for your needs?

Your backyard design is very similar to my set-up and I suggest most definitely location #2! It seems more functional, appears to have the best view of the yard (cooks perspective-that would be me / you :mrgreen: ) and will allow you to incorporate a bar and utilize more counter-top space. Location #3 would be totally out of the question for me; who wants to stare at a wall? It's great that your planning ahead for utilities and a sink (I suggest a full-size not a bar-sink with an electric water heater and disposer). You've probably already considered this; make sure you incorporate the columns into the design to maximize the area under the patio. Good luck and have fun with the build :goodjob:

Isaac-1 said:
From what I see I would go with location 2 also, since it is sheltered from the rain, there is nothing like having a sudden shower to put a damper on outdoor cooking. I would say probably put the sink in the shorter part of the L and the main cook surface on the straight part. If the kitchen is just inside do you really need a fridge there, perhaps a free standing ice chest, and ice machine somewhere would work better for your needs?
Thanks for the response. This is actually what we were thinking in regards to sink placement.
Do I need a fridge outside, no. However, I'm a little short on room in my kitchen fridge for drinks so it would be practical for me to have one outside. The breakfast area is right inside the door with the kitchen behind that. I'd like to minimize wet feet coming into the house so that's another reason to put a fridge outside.

pragmatic said:
Your backyard design is very similar to my set-up and I suggest most definitely location #2! It seems more functional, appears to have the best view of the yard (cooks perspective-that would be me / you :mrgreen: ) and will allow you to incorporate a bar and utilize more counter-top space. Location #3 would be totally out of the question for me; who wants to stare at a wall? It's great that your planning ahead for utilities and a sink (I suggest a full-size not a bar-sink with an electric water heater and disposer). You've probably already considered this; make sure you incorporate the columns into the design to maximize the area under the patio. Good luck and have fun with the build :goodjob:
Thanks! Love your outdoor kitchen (& pool)! Your post kinda inspired me to go ahead and plan it out now!

Yes, location 2 has the best view without blocking the house view and has enough space to put in what I want.

I'm glad you both have said location 2. It reassures me that it's the right choice as once I make the decision it's done and set!!

Yep, I agree with the others. Option 2. A fridge in the outdoor kitchen is nice. I use mine quite a bit when entertaining. I would also play with the layout around the columns to try to incorporate them into the island the best you can rather than creating two separate sections. Those columns are pretty large so it may be a challenge but it just makes it feel more cohesive if you can pull it off.

Riles

Riles_J said:
Yep, I agree with the others. Option 2. A fridge in the outdoor kitchen is nice. I use mine quite a bit when entertaining. I would also play with the layout around the columns to try to incorporate them into the island the best you can rather than creating two separate sections. Those columns are pretty large so it may be a challenge but it just makes it feel more cohesive if you can pull it off.

Riles
Thanks - Just checked out your outdoor kitchen build - another fantastic job!

I don't think I can really incorporate the columns easily, as you say they are quite large. My plan is to use them to mount a spice rack on the inside of the column facing the house on one and to put a paper towel holder or maybe some wire rack shelves to hold olive oil or liquor bottles. Something to utilize the space.

cbink said:
Thanks! Love your outdoor kitchen (& pool)! Your post kinda inspired me to go ahead and plan it out now!

Yes, location 2 has the best view without blocking the house view and has enough space to put in what I want.

I'm glad you both have said location 2. It reassures me that it's the right choice as once I make the decision it's done and set!!

Thanks for the compliments! I sure wish I could have planned for the utilities like you're doing; I hate that the piping is visible from the back side. I'm really surprised that area is now one of the high traffic areas.

harleysilo said:
I can't tell where the exterior door is. Is it right by that small window?
Yes. Location 2 doesn't block access from the door directly to the covered patio as it will finish at the pillar that is already there leaving the existing pathway through to the covered patio intact. Hope that makes sense?
Actually, give me 5 mins and I'll create an overlay on the plan view.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Overlay of patio below. The scale is slightly off (that or the angle) but you'll get the gist.

This is probably easier, don't know why I didn't just go out and take another photo in the first place. The gap looks a lot smaller than it feels when you're outside:

I don't see how option 1 lessens access any more than option 2.

I like option 2 the best, you can see the firepit from the covered area vs. blocking it like option 1, very little of the pool is blocked from what likely will be the main covered seating area. Option 3 would be okay if you wanted to build a roof of sorts, but only to maximize area in the existing covered part. Option 2 allows for two paths to the pool, as does option 1.

Since the firepit has moved, are you still going to have that round area where it used to be? You could use a little more decking around the firepit, maybe it could be moved to there.

harleysilo said:
I don't see how option 1 lessens access any more than option 2.

I like option 2 the best, you can see the firepit from the covered area vs. blocking it like option 1, very little of the pool is blocked from what likely will be the main covered seating area. Option 3 would be okay if you wanted to build a roof of sorts, but only to maximize area in the existing covered part. Option 2 allows for two paths to the pool, as does option 1.

Since the firepit has moved, are you still going to have that round area where it used to be? You could use a little more decking around the firepit, maybe it could be moved to there.
Mainly just because option 2 doesn't prevent you taking the natural path out to the rest of the deck/pool/firepit whereas option 1 does.
The issue with option 1 is it only allows one path to the shallow end (outside of the covered patio) where the steps are versus 2 with option 2 (either under the patio or outside).

I think I can make option 2 work the best. You're right I'd have to add a roof with option 3 (although it is shaded in the evening) but I'm trying to minimize cost a bit on this so working under the existing patio is priority.

The round area where the firepit used to be is still there. I left it there as it's big enough for 3 loungers and it gets uninterrupted sun all day. The firepit does have a bit more decking around it than you see there (that image was just modified by me to give the PB an indication of where I wanted the firepit). I'll have another look at it when the deck gets laid out to see if I want to extend it any further.

Thanks for the comments!

So decision made. Location 2 it is. Gas, water and drain are being run along with a conduit for the electrical.
It's not that long a run so shouldn't add to much to the cost at this stage but leaves me options open for the future.

It is going to be frustrating though to have the utilities sat there and not go ahead and do it... (maybe I can find a way somehow...!)

Stevereno said:
Good choice! I think you will be happy with that location.
Thanks, we think so too. Desperately trying to figure out if there's a way to do it now but I think it's just going to have to wait. I will be scouring deals though to see if I can pick up any bargains off season.

I'm also trying to figure out if I can get away with a regular TV outside and replace it every 2-3 years or if I need to get an outdoor model. It will be covered but it may get wet if it's raining hard and the wind is blowing from a certain angle. It wouldn't be much more than a bit of spray and a cover would probably suffice. Outdoor TVs are just so expensive.

harleysilo said:
Have you seen these? http://thetvshield.com/?gclid=CIHatZXok ... 7AodKV4AoQ

Still expensive however....
Thanks! Yeah it's still pretty expensive. It won't get any direct rain but we do occasionally get horizontal rain here in Houston that would come in under the covered patio (only once have I seen it hit the wall in question). I have a 40" in the house that I was thinking of upgrading so I may put it outside and be down a TV from the house for a little while to see how I get on with it and then decide what I'm going to do.

The TV wouldn't be on in those conditions and a slip on cover would probably provide adequate protection so maybe that's a first pass option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.