Rain and cya levels

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
We have had a lot of rain lately so I had to dump some water Before that, my cya levels were 140. , now they are down to 100. Will a little dumping reduce the cya that much. I was planning on draining about 40% at end of season now I'm not so sure I will need to. Any thoughts?

It's strickly a percentage. If you replace 25% of your water with CYA free water (i.e. rain) then your CYA will go down by 25%. Another problem is that above 100 ppm the CYA tests aren't accurate at all.

How did you test the CYA?

Thesil said:
We have had a lot of rain lately so I had to dump some water Before that, my cya levels were 140. , now they are down to 100. Will a little dumping reduce the cya that much. I was planning on draining about 40% at end of season now I'm not so sure I will need to. Any thoughts?

It certainly could depending on Rain Level and dumping amounts. You are still too high at 100 however. If you have a SWG you can just take it down to the 60-80 range. If you don't, I would suggest taking it down to the 30-50 range.

It's much easier to test the pool with lower CYA - your minimum FC level will be in the range where the color matching test works. Otherwise it's FAS-DPD every time. Grab as much of that rain as you can! Also note that whatever % CYA goes down, salt will go down as much, so you'll need to replenish it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.