Newbie...confirm if I'm doing okay?

Foxy

Aug 1, 2013
Henderson, NV
Hi...
My 1st post, but I've been here reading for a few weeks. I've posted my pool info in my signature. Background: We bought a house with a pool a couple months ago, pool was built in 2000 and had never been drained/refilled and was stained blue from copper. We drained and did an acid wash ourselves in April, refilled and made our 1st mistake of using a pool store...we were pool-stored lol, but it didn't take us too long to learn that lesson and now I'm here!! This is a fantastic forum, tons of great info and everyone is extremely helpful...I've done a lot of reading :).

I bought a Taylor K-2006 last week after figuring our CYA was too high. We did a partial drain and refill of approx. 50%, stopped using the pucks in the chlorine feeder (which I just replaced!!) and started using bleach. Oddly, even with CYA around 100 we haven't had any algae and our water is clear, but I imagine it would only be a matter of time....

Here's some of my test results, please let me know if this all sounds correct.

Before partial drain/fil:
FC: 6
CC: 1.5
CYA:100
TA:160
CH: 520
PH: 7.4

After: added 1 gallon bleach, then some acid to adjust* PH. (*Edit: PH was high after filling, I lowered it immediately)
FC: 9
CC: .5 (I did this again the next day and got 0)
CYA: 45-50
TA: 130
CH: 350
PH: 7.8

I did the OCLT, started at FC:9 morning was FC:8.
Water is clear, no algae.
I haven't added any bleach since Sunday on Tuesday night the FC was 6, pool has had a solar cover on since Monday.

I just wanted to see if I'm doing okay so far :). Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Overall, your (second) set of numbers look great. Since you are still on the border with regard to CC's and the OCLT (passing both but barely), I would continue keeping FC on the high side (8 ppm) for your CYA of 50.

Foxy said:
...then some acid to raise PH.
Actually, acid lowers pH.

Butterfly said:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

How are you doing? Showoff! :mrgreen: You're doing great!

The only thing I can ping you for is the fact that you did not post a pic for us :hammer: :-D

Thanks...no really, I did a TON of reading before posting lol...

I'll work on pics, but my pool isn't very attractive and wasn't well maintained and it was low quality work. We are trying to figure a budget for renovations!! The water is about the prettiest thing of the pool!!

BoDarville said:
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Overall, your (second) set of numbers look great. Since you are still on the border with regard to CC's and the OCLT (passing both but barely), I would continue keeping FC on the high side (8 ppm) for your CYA of 50.

Foxy said:
...then some acid to raise PH.
Actually, acid lowers pH.

Thanks! I can keep the FC high. I figured those 2 results were something to keep an eye on, I've been reading up on SLAM so when it's needed hopefully I can get it handled without any issues.

Oops...I know that about the PH! I'd re-tested the FC and PH a couple times and adjusted as necessary right away, it was high after fill so I had to use acid to lower even though pre-drain was 7.4. I just confused that in the post, that ending PH result was after adjusting as needed :) edited.

I need to figure out mulit-quote function...lol...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.