Adding "metal out" per the PB, continue or have it checked ?

DADx2

Jul 15, 2012
Atlanta Ga
I pretty much can answer my own question by having the water checked, but I want to open the door of discussion when I get the results of my well water.

I have recently filled my new ~29000 gallon liner pool with my well. The pool builder advised me to add a bottle of "metal out" when we were about 3/4 full of water. Now that the construction phase is complete, he is telling me that I will need to add "metal out" whenever I add water to the pool.

Does this sound like a common practice without actually getting the water tested ?

I have a neighbor who has a home water filter company that said he could test my well water and let me know all that is in it... which I will try to get analyzed asap.

I assume he can tell me about the metal content ?

Will my well water consistenly produce the same test results regardless of rainfall/drought ?

What happens to be the chemical used for "metal out" so I could possibly circumvent the inflated prices of the pool store? (I did google this before starting this thread but no bueno)

I will admit I am intimidated about getting and keeping the chem levels correct, but I am determined to get the hang of it.

Re: Adding "metal out" per the PB, continue or have it check

While it won't check for metals, you WILL need to get your own test kit.

We recommend the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 from http://tftestkits.net/

Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate for normal pool chemistry.

Depending on the results from your neighbor's testing, there may be no need for constant additions of "metal out".

Check out pool school, link in upper right of the page. Pay particular attention to the ABC's of pool water chemistry, and metals in the water.

Do these things, and you won't get on the pool store merry-go-round!

You can get individual copper and iron test kits here: http://tftestkits.net/Single-Item-Tests-c6/

DADx2 said:
Now that the construction phase is complete, he is telling me that I will need to add "metal out" whenever I add water to the pool.
Given that you have well water, I would agree with this statement. The term "metal out" is a bit of a misnomer though. What he is referring to is a sequestrant. Sequestrants bind to the metals and prevent them from depositing as stains - they do not remove metals from the water. Sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, so you need to add more regularly to maintain the correct level. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

At the very least, you should test for metals whenever you add water.

Recommending that you maintain a level of sequestrant is common practice for PB's. They don't want a disgruntled customer because of metal staining and it's easy to just recommend adding sequestrant.

If you can ensure that you don't have metals in your water it's fine to skip the sequestrant. Otherwise I recommend keeping some level at least the first year when the plaster is still curing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.