Added Sodium Carbonate (2 lbs) cloudy water (Solved)

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
My TA was low 40. Needed to bring it up added 2 lbs of sodium carbonate (soda ash) it should bring it up to 50 or so, and it turned the water cloudy. I know it will clear up in time. Any idea how long it will take. My pool was sparkling clear. The reason I'm bringing the TA up it's driving my CSI level very low (-.6). I'm aerating to bring my PH up. Needed to add CYA and it brought my PH way down.
I've also got borates in the water.

Thanks all.

Re: Added Sodium Carbonate (2 lbs) cloudy water

You do realize that the soad ash raises the pH more than the TA right? Baking soda is what is used to raise TA with less influence on the pH. Although in this case sounds like you need to bring the pH up as well.

2 lbs soda ash should have raised pH by .4 and TA by 13ppm

If you leave the pump on over night, I would think it should clear up by morning.

I've got the test numbers.
FC 9, CC<.5, PH 7.2, TA 40, CH 475, CYA 60, Salt 3000, Borates 45 CSI -.68, TEMP 84

I used what was left on hand. It looked pretty cool going in as it settled to the bottom, it looked like a cloud, along the bottom, and then spread out. The pool cleaner drove into the cloud and stirred it very nicely.

The cloudiness is slowly dissapating, and I am able to see the main drain.

As a side note. I've become a pool snob. We went to a hotel the water was slightly cloudy, and I was comparing it to my typical water. It wasn't as nice. The following day the water was clearer.

bobodaclown said:
As a side note. I've become a pool snob. We went to a hotel the water was slightly cloudy, and I was comparing it to my typical water. It wasn't as nice. The following day the water was clearer.

Aren't we all. Was at a BBQ over the weekend and the water was cloudy, floater was barely floating it was so full of pucks, air bubbles coming out the returns (suction leak somewhere), tiles caked in scaling, no weir on the skimmer, .... :hammer:

I wish there was a way to add soda ash, baking soda, calcium, etc., to the pool w/o getting cloudy water. I need to increase my TA by 50ppm & my CH by 50 or more and I just hate to throw all those chems in my sparkly water. That's 75lbs or more of powdery stuff.

Oh well, another first world problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.