Advice needed on using a circulation pump in winter.

shacke

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
Philadelphia
I have always closed my pool in the winter and not done much with it. I drain the pool below the returns and plug the lines. The main pump is shut down.

I have a new, dark pebble tec finish and was told that if I kept a small recirculation pump half suspended in the pool (attached to string and two buckets), and checked pH every few weeks and balanced, that I would really help to preserve the finish. Darker finishes are more sensitive to showing scale from high TA and pH. At the same time, I could keep some level of FC in the water too.

As long as the water isn't frozen, this is something I could easily do.

What kind of pump would suffice for mixing acid or liquid chlorine (not together! :twisted:) in a 19,000 gallon pool? Is one pump good enough - just adding chemicals and running it for a day or so before killing the power?

Thanks for the help or opinions in advance.

Thanks dave - that is welcome, cost saving news.

I'll then plan on submerging the pump on a lower step, with the end of the hose dumping water into the other end of the pool, through the mesh cover.

It's probably a guesstimate, but how long do you think is adequate to run the pump after each addition. A day? A few hours?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.