PSI drop w/ temperature drop in 12hr new plumbing test?

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Everyone,

We are remolding our pool with new plumbing, coping, plaster and deck.

Currently, the new plumbing is being pressured tested using water at 30psi to start.

Last reading taken about 7pm last nite is 30psi with temperature around 75 to 80 degree.

This morning's reading taken about 7am is 28psi with temperature around 65 to 70 degree.

Is it safe to attribute the 2psi drop from the temperature fluctuation with this 12hour period?

Since this is new plumbing, can we run air pressure test with shorter duration to double check?

Thank you for your suggestion!!

Welcome to TFP.

2 psi is easily attributable to the temp fluctuation because there's virtually no way to get every ounce of air out of the system. I'd hold it during the day today and if the sun comes out the pressure should rise back accordingly.

Welcome to TFP!

You are best off leaving it as is until the temperature warms up today to match yesterday's temperature and then see where you are.

Water is much better than air, which varies all over the place as the temperature changes.

Hi Dave and Jason,

Thank you for the quick inputs!

Since our weather report is forecasting much the same temperature today as yesterday, should I assume it will go back up to 30psi, or close to it?

Thank you again!!

Hi Richard,

I live not too far from you so as you can see there is not much day to day variation in the weather pattern lately.

Since it was set at 30psi at around noon yesterday, dropped to 28 this morning, does logic follow that it should go back up to 30psi or close it at some point?

Following your thought on A/C testing using vacuum, is there an effective way to perform a vacuum test on this plumbing?

Thank you!

KC
Doing my best to avoid the four letter word: "LxxK"

aceropen said:
Hi Richard,

I live not too far from you so as you can see there is not much day to day variation in the weather pattern lately.

Since it was set at 30psi at around noon yesterday, dropped to 28 this morning, does logic follow that it should go back up to 30psi or close it at some point?

Following your thought on A/C testing using vacuum, is there an effective way to perform a vacuum test on this plumbing?

Thank you!

KC
Doing my best to avoid the four letter word: "LxxK"
Yes, it should go back up. As temperature rises, so does pressure. I'm unaware of any way to connect a vacuum system to pool plumbing - it was just a point of interest because your dilemma is not unique.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to report back the PSI readings from the pressure testing using water did fluctuate in sync with the temperature variance during this 36hr period. There was a consistency to the pattern.

I want to thank everyone for their inputs in help us!!

KC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.