My rigid backflush pipe solution

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I went with 100' of 2" poly from home depot, a 1' section of 2" clear PVC with a vacuum break hose bib on a 'T', and a 1.5" MIP to slip using a double clamp collar. I need to make some sort of support for the 'T' fitting to prevent the clear hose from sagging. But when backflushing, you sure can see all the **** in the water! I plan to bury the hose going across the yard this weekend. The whole run is downslope so it should self drain.

In retrospect, it would have easier and cheaper to go with 1.5", but bigger is better!

The hose bib is a vent to allow the pipe to completely drain? Looks good.

I've been tempted to built a lawn waterer for my backwash water. Maybe 20' of PVC from the filter to the yard, then a "T" w/ 20' of PVC on either side of the "T". Cap those lines & drill holes in them along their length to allow the water to spray out. Just a thought....

I'm looking at the gray fittings where you have the 2" clear clamped on. Are they sort of like a barbed fitting for holding a hose on? Only difference being that it is actually just one ring or a single barb. If so do you have a source? I have one fitting that is 1-1/2" slip on one side and that type of connection on the other end and I was trying to find some more.

Good call on the vacuum breaker. Most people miss that. They do have vacuum breakers that work automatically. Such as this:

VV34B102A-05_LoRes.png

http://www.salcoproducts.com/page/vv34b102a
Or, this
345f8e75-00b2-47b3-bc6f-6439716d4631_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2- ... /100204205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use the watts one on my solar panels and it does flow a good amount of air and is quick acting (1psi, I think). I would expect the one built into the hose bib has a much higher psi and flows less air causing the hose to collapse. I would bet the Oatey from HD even flows a bit more. I used the watts one being it is in a critical position up on my roof but for your backwash the Oatey would be fine if you didn't want the hose to collapse. Just spin that on grey connector so the valve mounts vertically and you may also need an adapter for the Oatey.

I wanted to follow up and say that the clear hose is still working just great. I never did support it, its been holding up fine by itself. The plastic is getting a little cloudy after being out all winter. I'm guessing I'll get another season or 2 out of it and replace the clear section again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.