How to use Quick skim and Aerator valves

Jul 27, 2011
I have 2 valves from outlet of filter, please see attached picture, the quick skim valve is always Open and Aerator is Closed... is this OK? what is the purpose of these valves..

Attachments

• photo (16).jpg
    photo (16).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 114
Have you turned them to find out what they do? That seems easier than us guessing.

Likely the aerator will spray water into the air to aid in cooling the water and raising the pH if needed.

danacc said:
Perhaps your pool has this: http://www.aamfg.com/quikSkim.php. If so, the valve that is turned on would let you turn the skimmer off if for some reason you wanted to do that.

I agree with jbizzle, turn the aerator valve on and see what happens. It will probably be obvious.

Ok Thanks, Yes I tried the aerator and I do see water coming into the pool from one Pipe... so why should I use this feature?

When you turn the aerator on, does the water coming in "splash" or churn the top of the water where it enters? If so, using this will do 2 things: cool the water, and raise the pH without affecting TA at all. The first might be desirable if you have a really hot summer, and the pool water gets warmer than you would like. The second is desirable if you want to lower the TA. It lets you add acid which lowers both pH and TA, and then raise the pH while leaving the TA alone so you can add more acid to lower both of them again. (I don't know of any way to lower TA without also lowering pH, and of course, you don't want to drive your pH too low.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.