Adding bleach daily?

Feb 9, 2013
Venice, FL
Recently switched to the BBB method after the pool store completely messed the pool up for a couple weeks.

The question is; my CYA is around 55. I did the SLAM for a few days until I passed the OCLT. Now to keep my FC up I am having to add bleach daily. Does this sound right? Testing and adding daily? My pool sees full hot Florida sun all day.

Thanks for all the good advice, pool looks great.

hybridtrendz said:
Recently switched to the BBB method after the pool store completely messed the pool up for a couple weeks.

The question is; my CYA is around 55. I did the SLAM for a few days until I passed the OCLT. Now to keep my FC up I am having to add bleach daily. Does this sound right? Testing and adding daily? My pool sees full hot Florida sun all day.

Thanks for all the good advice, pool looks great.

As a point of reference....

I have a 12,000 gallon pool....and am adding about a quart of 8.25% bleach each day....

roughly losing about 3.5 ppm of FC at my current CYA of around 35.

if your CYA is 55, then your minimum FC level would be 4.5.

Assuming your CYA was even 60, then your minimum CYA would be 5.....so, you should be targeting 8 as your dose level when you re-dose bleach every evening....

Another thing I've noticed....

even with being fairly certain that my pool is 12,000 gallons..... when I dose to get to a certain level, say FC - 7, I'll wait a couple of hours and re-test the water to find that my FC level is actually more like 8 or 8.5.

Perhaps because the pool isn't always the same amount, due to rain, or conversly, evaporation.....

just making the point....it seems a good idea to retest your water a couple hours after dosing it so that you can know your TRUE FC loss each 24 hours.

hybridtrendz said:
I am having to add about a quart daily. I try to keep FC around 7-10ppm. The FC goes down a lot during the day with the sun/heat

Sounds completely normal to me. Full sun exposure and use (swimmers) will eat up the FC's. I "predose" my pool by a couple of ppm FC's if I know we are having a pool party. Yeah, I am that paranoid, and a snob...LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.